DT360 vs DT366GX vs DT366LX: limitations and upgradeability

Topics on hardware and modifications. Please post your "how to" steps that involve tools here.
seva

DT360 vs DT366GX vs DT366LX: limitations and upgradeability

Post by seva »

Hi everyone!

I am looking into buying one of those and wondering how upgradeable they are.

1) Is the memory soldered on DT360? How much memory is the maximum for each model?

2) Maximum capacity IDE flash GX and LX can take?

3) Any limitations on USB/CF/PC CARD slot memory capacity?

Sorry if it was discussed already, I looked and only found bits and pieces of information here and there;
will appreciate it if someone summarizes it for me.

Here:

http://www.dtresearch.com/support/manua ... 0guide.pdf

it says DT366 has "64MB-16GB of internal memory (flash)" and also, for storage, "internal flash module; 60GB HDD; 32 GB SSD" - does that plug into PC card slot, or is that internal?

Thank you!
Last edited by seva on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: DT360 vs DT366GX vs DT366LX: limitations and upgradeability

Post by quotaholic »

Welcome to webdt.org!

Sadly the CF slot is not bootable so the thought of putting an os on a CF card is not within practicality. On the DT366 the CF slot is saddled to the USB1.1 bus so it is a little slow. Memory is soldered on and there is little chance to upgrade it.

I believe these all had 256mg of ddr2@667 but I may be wrong. The internal storage can vary in size. It is a proprietary nand flash 90 degree card with a half height 44pin ide adapter. They are interchangeable between 360 and 366.

I have both DT360 and 366 models. I feel strongly that the 360 is a better performer and likely worth the increase in cost. It depends on how you intend to use it. Sadly, within linux, I do not have wireless working on the 360 yet. Varying reports on cf capacity. One person indicated that the ide adapter was only rated for 4 gigs while others say it works on larger sizes. 

Since the DT360 is usb2.0 and the DT366 is 1.1 you can expect everything to be faster. In both models many things tie to the usb bus like the bluetooth and the cf card. So if transferring at usb1.1 speeds sounds unappealing then consider the 360. I see pio2 as the max speed on the cf slot in the 366. In real world numbers ~750kb/s to a x266 rated cf card are normal.

I believe all drive ratings are internal. As DTresearch has the lock on the nand flash pricing is a little steep to upgrade the hard drive. In the case of the DT366 it did make a performance difference. As the 366 is older the newer drive was much faster to transfer. 

Hope it helps!
quotaholic
seva

Post by seva »

Thank you for welcoming me and quick reply!
quotaholic wrote: Sadly the CF slot is not bootable so the thought of putting an os on a CF card is not within practicality.
But one still can boot from internal flash and mount CF as root?
quotaholic wrote: On the DT366 the CF slot is saddled to the USB1.1 bus so it is a little slow.
From what I read 366LX has USB 2.0... (and LX have twice the RAM: 512MB vs 256MB):

http://www.dtresearch.com/support/manua ... 0Guide.pdf

I only saw GX's for sale so far though.
quotaholic wrote: Sadly, within linux, I do not have wireless working on the 360 yet. Varying reports on cf capacity.
Bummer! Could you please point me to any discussion about wireless on the 360 with Linux?
I was not aware of the issue.

Isn't the network card mini-PCI though? Can I just replace it with something supported under Linux?

Thanks so much!
Last edited by seva on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Yes we can mount the CF card as root. No problems there. May require a few pci packages.

I have not seen any 366LX models either.

From what I am gathering some of us who have 360's have mini pci and some have mini pci-e. I ordered this card and it is not recognized on a lcpci, lsusb or a ifconfig -a.

[url]http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/p226/SparkL ... o.html/url]

I have installed restricted modules, all pci libraries and am about to try hand compiling the driver for the original VIA VNT6656 card. The atheros just is not found by the os. I see a TI 1520 PCI adapter and with the program "hardinfo". I can see some references to a pnp in a few unrecognized pci device mentions but only in the program "hardinfo". I am not aware of any discussions on the subject.

quotaholic