iPod/Zune HDD hack

Topics on hardware and modifications. Please post your "how to" steps that involve tools here.
dingo

iPod/Zune HDD hack

Post by dingo »

I have a zune with a busted screen and I am interested in opening it up and somehow installing it to the second, empty PCMCIA slot on my webdt.  Has anyone pulled this off yet?  

If not I'm thinking about getting a $2 PCMCIA chassis on ebay and whipping out my solder gun, for better or for worse.  I was very close to getting a PCMCIA to CF and a 8GB CF card, but now that I've imagined 30gb in this thing I have to try it.

EDIT: I see something about this mentioned in the FAQ section of the collective, but that's all I can find.  It's giving me hope at least, can anybody point me in the direction of more info?
Last edited by dingo on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Re: iPod/Zune HDD hack

Post by Foxx »

Look in the hardware section for my post about installing alternate drives. The 1.8" IDE Drives take up too much amperage, they wont run. Im working on a solution. now.
Hacking is not a crime, It's a passion - www.BSoDtv.org
If you need someone to IDE mod your DT366 toss me a PM.
gdemean

Re: iPod/Zune HDD hack

Post by gdemean »

Hi, I did an hard drive hack on the DT366 about 2 years ago (JHDD2 on the board under the compact flash slot) using an 1.8"  30GB HDD fron an OQO 01+ similar to the ones on ipods.
I unsolder the CF slot from main board and solder an CF connector that i had ling around, to the pads of JHD2... I hat to trim the plasic ends from the CF connector (they only serve as a guide for the CF Cards) so I could plug in the 1.8" hdd.
I found out that I had to unplug the main Flash drive (ide1) in order to beable to boot from HDD.
I used this with full windows xp pro install for a few weeks then converted back to original hardware and WinCe
mainly because with xp at that time,  didnt have any clean way to have access to the front buttons and the on screen KB
This is a good option to have plenty of storage and full windows install at a price of less than $50 (You just have to be very good on your soldering skills :)