How to build your own ep embedded image.

The Collective will serve as a tips and tricks area. Information here will be contributed only by moderators and will hopefully act as a reference point. If you have information that should be in here please let us know
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

How to build your own ep embedded image.

Post by angrymeat »

Ok i know this is mostly a repost of my old posts for xp embedded i just wanted to clean it up and try to make it a little easier to use for everyone.

To use the .slx file I have posted below you will need the following
xp embedded studio  sp2  not  windows embedded standard you can get the demo download of the studio below .
The demo will allow you to create ,build and deploy your image however your image will only be a 120 day trial.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/products/wexpe/default.mspx
You will also need both updates for xp embedded studio also available on the same site above .

once you have Xp Embedded studio installs you will need to also put in disk 3 and run all of the sp2 updates  this is very important if you do not do this you will have tons of errors when trying to use my .slx

Ok now that you have that download my devices.sld. This file is a hardware profile of the web dt and will allow your image to put in most of the drivers  for your system .
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=86072d7425fbbe2761d4646c62b381cbc7e78613cd071788ce018c8114394287
Once you have this file downloaded you need to open your database manager and import it .

Once you have the devices.sld imported download my .slx file below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=86072d7425fbbe2761d4646c62b381cbc7e78613cd071788ce018c8114394287

Once you have this downloaded you will need to open target designer and open my .slx
once you have this open you could simply run a dependency check and build this  and have a fully functional xp embedded image for your web dt. 
I however would suggest you look through everything and add any other components you want  .
I would also suggest that you go to options and turn off auto resolve  on the dependency checker  or it will add everything needed for any dependency and you will quickly run your space up .

Ok now that you have your image built your saying how the hell do I put this on my web dt ?

For this you will need a few things .
1. usb cd rom
2. powered usb hub
3.usb keyboard
the next two depend upon where you want to pull your file from be it local or from a share on a pc.

Local
a compact flash large enough to fit your build

Remote
you will simply need to share your build folder on your network.

Ok now that you have everything  insert your xp embedded studio disk one and boot from it .
once you have booted into the windows xp embedded preinstallation environment you will be at a command prompt x:

now you will need to do a couple of things  the primary thing you need to do is run diskpart  I will not go into every command you need to use with disk part because you really need to know how to use it.
Diskpart has  a great help file in it and thee is more information than you will ever need on the internet

you need to clean and wipe all existing partitions from your internal flash  create a new primary partition assign it a drive letter and finally make it active.

Once you have your partition created and active  you will need to format your c: with the following command
format c: /fs:ntfs
once this is done your internal flash is ready to have your image copied to it.

Essentially at this point you just need to dump your build files to the root of c: how you do this depends on the method you chose earlier  for copying your files .

Local
put your cf card in your web dt give it a second the  go to your d drive
once there navigate to the root of your build and type xcopy *.* c: -e -h
Sit back and wait the 10 mins or so it will take to copy

Remote
you will need to set your wifi to open do do this remotely  meaning 0 security .
from comancd prompt typethe following command
net use s: \\computername\folder and hit enter

Essentially what you have done is mapped your share to the s:

navigate to s: so into the root of your build and use the following command
xcopy *.* c: -e -h

Ok now that you have your build files on your flash you simply need to reboot set your flash as primary boot again and you will boot into the xp embedded first boot agent
This is the longest portion of your xp embedded install it takes 20 minutes to run through .

Once the FBA is complete you should be looking at your xp embedded desktop .
you should only need to install 3 drivers at this point .

Driver 1 .
Penmount touchscreen drivers these are available from their website as a free download so I wont post a direct link to those.

Driver 2 and 3
Audio drivers
The drivers for this and driver 3 are both in a zip file found here
to install the audio driver and the button agent drivers go into device manager and click on the devices  and hit update driver. Point it to the folder you have the files decompressed to. 

***note*** when installing the audio drivers you will get a prompt that complains about not being able to find two files one called kuser and another call ks  select brows and look in c:\windows\system32 for kuser and c:\windows \system32\driver for ks. If you used the above slx to build your image then they should be there if not just put them in those locations you can copy them from your xp desktop if you have one.

[glow=red,2,300]UPDATE 5-12-09[/glow]
here is a link for the gx2 video drivers along with a .sld file you can import into your db .
http://www.winsystems.com/software/GX2_XP_XPe_Graphics.zip

also check this guys site out for tons of xpe information and som downloadable application and driver components.
http://www.seanliming.com/Components.html
You are done
Welcome to xp embedded .
hit me up on Irc (the big button above that says chat )  if you have any questions
Last edited by angrymeat on Thu May 14, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stine

Re: How to build your own ep embedded image.

Post by Stine »

Thanks for the tutorial, I have XPe installed but think its going ot be a 30 day trail :) now I can build my DT with the apps and config that I want :)

One question, is there a way to get WPA wifi working on these and not just WEP?
HyperNewb
Developer
Developer

Post by HyperNewb »

many thanks on the tutorial
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

np glad to see people finally using it .
updated above and added a link to the gx2 video drivers
I also added a link to sean limings site he has a few nice prebuilt application components on his site.
XGhosT

Post by XGhosT »

Some another words about XPe:

1. After SP2 you can install Feature Pack 2007 for windows embedded.

2. You can install hardware GX AES driver (GX3AES.inf) of your DT 366

3. You can download and install component "PenMount Windows XP Embedded Universal Driver V2.1.0.238" from www.penmount.com

4. There is another way to install builded XPe on your DT366 (warning: all of your doing is on your own risk!!) without USB CD-ROM:

- Make a boot XP usb flash with BartPE + Flashboot or another software
      - Place a folder "Windows Embedded Images" and bootprep.exe  from windows embedded utilities into usb flash
       - boot you DT366 from usb flash. Of course, you need usb hub, usb keyboard and mice
       - create primary partition and format you DT366 flash disk in FAT16. NTFS is more slowly on weak hardware!
       - reboot from usb flash
       - place ntdetect.com from "Windows Embedded Images" into root of new disk
       - place ntldr
       - run bootprep.exe for create  and fix MBR on your flash disk

- place all other windows embedded files
       - remove USB flash and reboot from your internal flash disk . XPe will running into FBA mode
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

the feature pack 2007 was one of the two updates i was talking about above and is necessary to use my .slx/
the component for penmount doesn't install everything  you still have to install the driver and software after the first boot. it puts it in a penmount directory on your c:
My slx is created for ntfs but fat is mildly faster on them i have tried both ways with little difference.
XGhosT

Post by XGhosT »

angrymeat wrote: the component for penmount doesn't install everything  you still have to install the driver and software after the first boot. it puts it in a penmount directory on your c:
Hmm...i not install any driver, just only add component for PenMount 9000 and control panel for my project and after FBA i have PM icon in my tray.

P.S. Microsoft was released some big updates for XPe - Update Rollup 1.0 and SP3. Tomorrow i try it on my DT 366.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

yeah sp3 will bloat it i imagine going form sp1 to sp2 took me up 50 megs on mine.
potts.mike

Post by potts.mike »

A quick question about installing xpe; When I go to update the database to sp2 it stops and asks for a disc. what disc is this?
Stine

Post by Stine »

potts.mike wrote: A quick question about installing xpe; When I go to update the database to sp2 it stops and asks for a disc. what disc is this?
I belive it is Disk2 or Disk3 or the Studio install set
fabio

Post by fabio »

hallo i've tried to install tiny xp beast edition on webdt and it runs leaving 85 mb free, but it asks for pci to cardbus bridge drivers can anyone help me?
regards
Fabio
potts.mike

Post by potts.mike »

So I got everything installed without errors on a new xp machine. When I go to build the image there are a few errors having to do with WMP 11 and also IE 7. Should I just ignore these or is there a problem with my database?
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

it really depends on the error if you have auto resolve off you will need to hunt down those errors or some things wont work .
whiteflash

Post by whiteflash »

Has anyone else run into a problem with the Windows preinstallation environment getting a stop error with a blue screen of death around the point that it should be switching from the Windows XP splash screen and the blue background?

I have two tablets and they both appear to be doing the same thing.  At first I thought it was because I was trying to boot from a USB key I created, but I get the same error when booting from CD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

have you  put in the usb boot or the cd boot components ? xpe need specific components and settings to boot from those to media.