NimbleX 2009 on WebDT ...soon

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
bogdan

NimbleX 2009 on WebDT ...soon

Post by bogdan »

Hello everybody,

I am Bogdan from the NimbleX project.
Daryl shipped a WebDT to me today and when it will arrive I'll try to get NimbleX 2009 (which is not released yet) to work with it. It would not be much but I'm interested in making the touchscreen and maybe some of the other things work with a minimum amount of intervention from the users.

We'll see what's what when I'll have my hands on the device but for now I want to thank Daryl and everybody who uses or will use NimbleX. Everybody is welcome to contribute in any way.
Fleegman
Developer
Developer

Re: NimbleX 2009 on WebDT ...soon

Post by Fleegman »

Wow, that sounds great Bogdan.

I've spent over 8hrs trying to get the custom build of NimbleX working on the WebDT.  The only thing I couldn't get working was the Penmount 9000 touchscreen drivers.  WiFi, Sound, Bluetooth were working from the get-go.  I had to create a custom "x11.mo" file that way upon boot all references to the 1024x768 resolution settings were remove and all that remained were the 800x600.

If you look at my final post in the "sub-100" section you can see all the steps I've done, I've also upload the custom .MO file so you can see what needed to be changed.

Hopefully you'll be able to create a build of NimbleX for the WebDTs.

I would like to point out that the most responsive build I've used on the WebDT was starting "flux" from a Slax 5 build.  The "flux" GUI was extremely responsive, but nothing really worked.... just thought I'd toss that out there.

Anyhow, looking forward to your results.
Last edited by Fleegman on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Fleegman, thank you very much for your contributions! I feel badly as I am not contributing to, or duplicating your effort. Again I am currently without a linux box and on my neighbors internet signal. Its going to be a few days before I can get back online and do anything to contribute. So, When Bogdan indicated his willingness to help out with our goals I decided that the best thing I could do to help, was to ship him my WebDT. It was sent as a donation to the NimbleX project.

Bogdan, thank you again for your willingness to help!

Daryl - aka - quotaholic
Fleegman
Developer
Developer

Post by Fleegman »

After I had a few moments of calm, I had a brainstorm of how to try and make the NimbleX Custom build (from their website) to work.  Since I don't know how to create a build from scratch, I had to "borrow" some things from a Slax 5 build.

The only stuff that was 'borrowed' from the Slax 5 build was the method of making the USB stick bootable (aka: make_disk.sh and make_disk.bat) and the corresponding bootloaders it places on the USB stick.  Reason I prefer this is that it uses Syslinux as opposed to Grub.

Everything else on the USB stick is from the Custom NimbleX CD build that you can make from their website (again, based upon NimbleX2007).

So far it looks good.  I can plug in the USB stick into my WebDT, power it on and it will boot to the 800x600 desktop, with all drivers (minus touchscreen) AND i've managed to make a shortcut to the virtual keyboard and I placed it on the task bar for quick access.

I've still got a bit of "tweaking" to do.  If I can manage, I'll try to remove some of the "bloat" software from the NimbleX.mo file that was created during the custom build.

Even though I can't get the PenMount drivers to work, this will be as close as possible for someone else to try and help out.  All that will be needed is a .MO file that can be placed into the "module" directory that would load the PenMount Drivers.  If this can be done, then we will have a fully working version of a useable Linux on the WebDT.

Once I'm happy with my custom USB build, I'll make a "usb disk image" using PartImage and I'll upload it to a FileSharing site.

That way, you can download the "image" and then use PartImage to "restore" it to any USB drive.  Once restored, you can then plug the USB drive into your WebDT, power it on and see how it all works.

I'll even try to post a YouTube video if I have the time  (sceenies for sure).

Hopefully by the end of the day I'll get something out... but it's a slow process going back and forth from my main system to the WebDT.

I'll keep you posted.
Last edited by Fleegman on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

If anyone is running nimblex right now with the touchscreen drivers loaded can I please ask a favor of you? I promised Bogdan that we would see if we could help him out with something.

If you google nimblex then click on the video tab just take a look at what the number one video is. Enough said.

Can anyone capable please upload a video to google video's with some tags like nimblex and webdt 366. Possibly wedt.org if you felt generous. Lets show a full working linux in a few different hands and knock who I call "the son of frankenstein" out of top slot.

thank you in advance!
quotaholic
Fleegman
Developer
Developer

Post by Fleegman »

Done.  I updated the tags on my YouTube videos and I've also uploaded those same videos on Google Video as well.  I've included the following "tags" on my WebDT366 NimbleX videos:
  • NimbleX nimblex WebDT webdt WebDT366 webdt366 DT366 dt366 WebDT360 webdt360 DT360 dt360 WebDT.org webdt.org
That should cover it all.

(Currently my videos are in the number 10 and 11 spots .... not bad for only being uploaded 2days ago)
Last edited by Fleegman on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Awesome! Thank you!

WebDT.org is starting to pick up some speed. Think we had nearly ten people register yesterday. If we keep hitting google with fresh content that is cross linked here all our videos should gain rank. Hopefully you started a trend.

quotaholic
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

I posted over at the linuxmce forums to try and get some  of the dt people over here as well . The big thing is this site doesn't show up in google. I only found this site at all because of the nimblex vid on youtube.
Fleegman
Developer
Developer

Post by Fleegman »

I only found this site at all because of the nimblex vid on youtube.
I guess my videos have brought in some traffic to WebDT.org then.  Glad I could help out.  ;D
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

it seems when using this build the lzm stuff doesnt work . When I try to install an app from an lzm by clicking it it  pops up and asks me what to open it with .
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Trying to fix the google thing. The site is like seven or eight days old. I just went through google verification saturday and submitted the site for indexing. We should be getting some page rank soon.

Have you tried the other method mentioned on the NimbleX site? The uselivemod command?

http://www.nimblex.net/index.php?option ... &Itemid=42

quotaholic
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

yep it complains about wrong filesystem in the /mnt/live/memory/modules
Soulace

Post by Soulace »

Hi,

I took delivery of a used webdt 366 with WindozeCE. Was wondering how the Nimblex project was going in regards to the touchscreen? I actually brought the unit thinking I could use it as an ebook reader. After several hours, no go yet. Hopefully the Linux build here solves that too.

Cheers
Alex
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

This post should answer your question.

http://webdt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=599#p599