Android on Geode GX

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
matt
Developer
Developer

Android on Geode GX

Post by matt »

Whew - there are quite a few distros to chose from!

Most of you will have heard the buzz about Google Android being a lightweight performer on cellphones and PDAs.

Turns out that it *might* run on the WebDT too.

If anyone is game to try it, there are some leads here - http://www.androidx86.org/ The website moderator is particularly interested in the Geode LX, which isn't a far cry from the Geode GX found in the WebDT.

It's probably for 'advanced users' only. I think it requires compiling of the kernel etc. etc.

Regards.
vasko

Re: Android on Geode GX

Post by vasko »

I have managed to compile Android version for Geode GX , but at this stage i have problems with video support, in really really slow, now i'm trying another kernels, and soon i'll publish a working version here.
NateTheGreat555

Post by NateTheGreat555 »

At the risk of starting a third thread in a row, I suppose this thread could come back to life...

I have recently tried running/installing different versions of android from a flash drive to my tablet, and have had mixed results.
The versions I've tried are LiveAndroid 0.3 and android-x86-1.6-r2 from these two sites respectively:

http://code.google.com/p/live-android/downloads/list
http://www.android-x86.org/download

When trying to install these using the linux bootloader installer (found here) I found that building with the old syslinux allowed the stick to boot to install or run choices for both.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/

However, the liveandroid version had no install option (only a run splash screen), and when asked to run in a certain display mode (800x600 or 1024x768), it seemed to hang on the liveandroid loading screen. When I tried with the new syslinux, it simply never loaded to the initial splash screen.

When I tried the androidx86 version (the newer one), I found that I could run OR install to a disk. I tried running it at first, and it finally booted and looked good. Slightly sluggish, but good. I had to play with it more for more testing, but I wanted to see if I could install it to the onboard memory, since it was only a hundred meg or so. However, the install option only found the flash drive I was booting from as an install disk (possibly because it was already formatted for linux?) I was previously running a distro of linux on it before when I tried to reflash it (which failed...error 17?) so I don't know if that could be the problem with the lack of recognition.

Any thoughts?

(Also, just to get it straightened out, I have the LX version, to my knowledge. But if they're so similar, then both sides could benefit here.)
faithful

Post by faithful »

I've been looking into this too. I found a version that will boot my DT366 at http://www.android-x86.org/download. used the android-x86-2.2-generic.iso on a USB flash drive. Unit did boot, and I was able to use a keyboard and mouse to move around.  Only tried once. The touch screen did not work nor the the PCMICA slot work (I have a usb adapter card in the slot, with a USB wireless adapter plugged into it). Will try again, without the mouse. and see it the touch screen works.
    I was able to turn on the Bluetooth, but I had nothing to test it with.
NateTheGreat555

Post by NateTheGreat555 »

That's great. I'll hopefully be able to test this in a bit, but my main goal is to install it to the onboard memory. It *should* work, simply from the file size aspect. I am the last person to try to mess with a boot kernal or anything like that. I'm totally new with this stuff. However, I'm willing to do some more tests to make it work.

Let me know about any messages you get/anything else that works on that version.
darrenmason

Post by darrenmason »

Hi,

I have posted previously about my efforts but havn't done anything on it of late.

The Android-X86 base is the best starting point that I found.

Issues I encountered were as follows;
* Booting from USB - solved using the ISO image and the Unetbootin software to write the ISO to USB. Early versions of the kernel also didn't seem to like the USB drive and wouldn't give it a /dev entry. This seems to be OK in more recent ones.
* Installing to disk - think I solved this by recompiling the kernel with certain options enabled. Will have to check what they were if anyone is interested.
* Touch Screen - solved by recompiling a slightly modified version of the penmount kernel serial driver into the kernel and also including the inputattach utility to assign the driver to a /dev/input/event
* Network - have tried to get both the airnet card and another PCMCIA card that I have to work with no luck. Also could not get a wired PCMCIA ethernet card to work. Only time I could get this thing networked was using my phone (android) attached via USB. This has been the main thing that has prevented me spending much more time on this.
* Sound - Doesn't seem to work but have not spent any effort in tring to solve
* Four front Buttons - have some ideas to get these working, they seem to generate ACPI events so should be possible

When it is working it looks good, performance is usable but not fantastic and it did seem to get stuck a few times where it was unresponsive for a short period.

If someone wants to spend some time on this I will try and help where I can. The dev environment is not hard to setup (although requires a lengthy download).
Might move the dev stuff to my laptop as the machine I had it on was taking ages to build after each change which was making testing news kernel settings quite painful.

Regards
Darren
faithful

Post by faithful »

I would be interested in trying out some options. I did read somewhere that the PCMICA slot could be made to work, but it required adding it to the kernel. Since I have never done that (and forgot where I saw it), I'm not sure where to begin.

Knowing that  the touch screen can work give me hope. Have not tried a USB network card yet, outside of attached to a PCMICA card.

Thanks

John
Gunther3613

Post by Gunther3613 »

I am new to this forum but have been browsing since January 2011 when I bought a 366gx from sunnyvoip.

I am very interested in trying to get a working androidx86 install working. Looks like building from source would be the easiest method to do this.

Darrenmason could you please post the details for any modifications you made to get your version working. That would be very helpful start for anybody trying this endeavor.
darrenmason

Post by darrenmason »

Hi,

You will definately need to compile the source - including a new kernel.

Main changes are adding the PCMCIA drivers and including a slightly modified penmount driver.
You will need inputattach included as a service to get the penmount driver to bind to the serial port.

I turned mine on last night to see what state it is in and the touch screen was working after bootup but the calibration was all over the place. It will work fine with a correct calibration but I was having troubles getting the calibration to stick across boots.

Just had a look at the android-x86 site - haven't been on it for a few months and they seem to have progressed the 2.2+ stuff quite well. Will try and get that running on the webdt. If video performance is now acceptable then it will be worth pursuing some of the other issues. Touch screen is definately doable.

Will post back when I get a chance to try out.

regards
Darren
ShortMan

Post by ShortMan »

Sounds great,  I'd love to see a spark for Android x86 on a 366LX.  Anything I can do to help just let me know.
Arobase

Post by Arobase »

Hi Darren,

I saw in a very old post on Android-x86 that you created an inputattach version for Android-x86 with an Android.mk file. The problem is that I can't find it back in any available versions, from donut-x86 to the latest. Cupcake-x86 is not available anymore, so no way to put my hand on it... ^^ :(
As the post was very old, I couldn't find an email address to get in touch with you...

I need it for use with a Fujitsu serial touchscreen. So could you please so kind to send it to me at arobase40 at gmail dot com, so I could finalize my build for the P1510/P1610 devices ?

I'd really appreciate your help.

Best regards

Arobase

darrenmason wrote:Hi,

I have posted previously about my efforts but havn't done anything on it of late.

The Android-X86 base is the best starting point that I found.

Issues I encountered were as follows;
* Booting from USB - solved using the ISO image and the Unetbootin software to write the ISO to USB. Early versions of the kernel also didn't seem to like the USB drive and wouldn't give it a /dev entry. This seems to be OK in more recent ones.
* Installing to disk - think I solved this by recompiling the kernel with certain options enabled. Will have to check what they were if anyone is interested.
* Touch Screen - solved by recompiling a slightly modified version of the penmount kernel serial driver into the kernel and also including the inputattach utility to assign the driver to a /dev/input/event
* Network - have tried to get both the airnet card and another PCMCIA card that I have to work with no luck. Also could not get a wired PCMCIA ethernet card to work. Only time I could get this thing networked was using my phone (android) attached via USB. This has been the main thing that has prevented me spending much more time on this.
* Sound - Doesn't seem to work but have not spent any effort in tring to solve
* Four front Buttons - have some ideas to get these working, they seem to generate ACPI events so should be possible

When it is working it looks good, performance is usable but not fantastic and it did seem to get stuck a few times where it was unresponsive for a short period.

If someone wants to spend some time on this I will try and help where I can. The dev environment is not hard to setup (although requires a lengthy download).
Might move the dev stuff to my laptop as the machine I had it on was taking ages to build after each change which was making testing news kernel settings quite painful.

Regards
Darren