Debian 6 linux image for the WebDT366lx800

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Debian 6 linux image for the WebDT366lx800

Post by quotaholic »

So I have been trying like heck to get a kernel recompiled and packed back in to a live distro. Not going well. The kernel part is not actually the hard part. Its all the sym links that you have to rebuild and the three way handshake between initrd, bzimage and all your modules. After ten tries I am exploring other options.

So in an effort to validate myself as a geek once again I decided to finally give Debian 6 a spin on the DT. Not too bad. Not too bad at all. It was quite a it bigger than lenny on initial install however some of the core packages ended up taking less space. And some took a little more space. All in all its decent. I used LXDE - XFCE install CD Squeeze 6.01 image from the debian cd mirrors. Outside of the base install and some groups like x11 it was all done with wget. Never updated apt-get. In fact I removed aptitude.

Oh yeah this is all on a ~500mb internal flash chip.

Proved to be a lengthy but good strategy. There is about 53 megs left of free space. When I plugged in a usb stick on a hub it showed up in pcmanfm. I do not have a CF card to test the cf prt with however seeing the usb I am hopeful.

Window manager: LXDE
Wireless: WICD
Bluetooth: Blueman
Web browser: Opera 9.64 yeah its old but its tiny and fast.
On Screen keyboard: xvkbd

Username: webdt
Password: webdt
Rootpwd: webdt

Outside of the basics in supporting the hardware I decided not to put anything else in there and allow whoever uses this to install what they want with the remaining space. I did install acpitool and scripted a momentary press and release on the power button to put the tablet in suspend. I have not tested this much so I am not sure what wont work coming out of sleep.

Please note that installing any applications will be manual method. Or at least that is what I would recommend. If you did install apt and do an apt-get update you would chew up 40 of your 53 available megs of free space. Or thereabouts. My tip is get a laptop out with the mouse pointer hoovering over the download links on debians package search pages and wget them from the DT via ssh. 

Download link:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ce72b7a/n/WebDT366-Debian6-2011-06-12-16-img.zip

This is a clonezilla backup image. Please refer to this thread for more information or how to install it.

forum/viewtopic.php?t=9

There are little scripts I wrote that will toggle xvkbd as well as pcmanfm. One button press to make them show up and another to make them go away. First button is keyboard. Next is pcmanfm, third is blueman and fourth button is the enter key. The keybindings are all in /home/webdt/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml Feel free to change them to your preferences. Also there is an /home/webdt/.Xmodmap with some mappings in it as well. If you need to change them they are in /usr/bin and are titled togglekbd.sh and togglepcmanfm.sh.

I can not tell you if this will boot on a 366GX or not. The 360 should work outside of wifi. I have a 1gb chip and I plan on building the via driver after getting build-essential installed on the next build. As long as kernel and things stay the same I should be able to post the .ko file for the via chip and it should copy over to this image no problem.
Last edited by quotaholic on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Debian 6 linux image for the WebDT366lx800

Post by volkswagner »

Nice Job quotaholic!

I will test out your image soon.

Please let us know how you got penmount to work.  I was unsuccessful getting penmount installed.  I used Debian Squeeze Net install CD.  After jumping through a few hoops on install, I kept getting errors trying to install Penmount.  I tried using the Ubuntu 10.04 installer.  For some reason my Xorg version would not line up.

Please let us know your versions for the following:

Penmount
Xorg
Kernel
XandR

Great Job!
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Morning Volkswanger!

Penmount was a challenge. Their installer kept giving me errors too. When I read /var/log/Xorg.0.log indications were that penmount module did not exist. Looking at the folder structure of their driver for Debian 6, it was different than any of their other drivers with the i686 folder. I checked /etc for the .dat file and once I saw that I crossed my fingers that the init stuff got done and I copied the penmount_drv.so driver manually to /usr/lib/xorg/.. blah blah.

Penmount Debian6 3.6.3
Xorg I believe is 1.7.7
XrandR Not too sure but I think it was 1.3 from memory.
Kernel is 2.6.32-5-i486

Long day yesterday but now that  think about it I tried the Ubuntu 10.04 installer too. Pissed me off because by their logic of lining up kernel version to xorg version it should have worked. Nope, a b minor errors to boot. Ah well hope this works well for you.

I am glad that you are testing this Volkswagner. Thank you!

quotaholic
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

I may have to reupload that image folks. Reports are that it doesnt init well.

The PenMount driver was written in such a way to support only i686 architecture. If you are installing the PenMount Debian6 driver yourself cd in to the driver folder and issue this:

Code: Select all

sudo mv i686 i586
and then execute the install script. Should go okay. The install.sh will look for a `uname -r` and assume that i686 is what will come back hence the i686 folder containing the driver and cal utils. By changing the folder to i586 the script that PenMount wrote will work.

quotaholic
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Confirmed. I fubarred the image. With Volkswagners help I have created a new Clonezilla installable image and will start a new thread announcing.

New thread is here:

http://webdt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69.msg3778#msg3778
Last edited by quotaholic on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themechwarrior

Post by themechwarrior »

I clicked on the link and a firewall is blocking it could you provide a differnet link
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

themechwarrior

Post by themechwarrior »

still cant download it its beening blocked by this
email it to me pgsailormoon@netzero.net
Attachments
Sonicwall
Sonicwall
blocked.jpg (39.93 KiB) Viewed 54829 times
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

My advice would be to not use the firewall or to make an exception. If your firewall is blocking you that is on your end. Not much I can do for your firewall and its settings.

quotaholic
themechwarrior

Post by themechwarrior »

I got it downloaded how do I burn it to a cd or usb flash?
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Follow the instructions in this post:

forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1069

And you will effectively be restoring the backup I made on my webdt to your own.
themechwarrior

Post by themechwarrior »

clonezilla-live-20110325-maverick.iso is no longer on the site to download it
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Its been a while (probably a year) since anyone has requested this information so its no surprise that versions have changed since the time of writing this post. I would say give clonezilla live (current) a shot and see how it goes. Instructions should be similar if not identical. Here is a link to clonezilla live:

http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.p ... ve-doc.php

quotaholic
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

you will want to use the maverick build. I have had no joy with later versions of clonezilla.

You can find the older builds on clonezilla's download page by selecting "other mirrors".

Here you can download the above referenced build.
ftp.twaren.net/local-distfiles/clonezilla-live/alternative/oldstable/20110325-maverick/