Android on WebDT366?

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
caleb68

Android on WebDT366?

Post by caleb68 »

Now i know there are issues with putting windows on some android tablets, but has anyone tried putting android on one of these WebDT's as the OS?  Just one more thing im curious about.  I've seen linux put onto them, but haven't heard of anyone putting Android on them.  Am Curious if anyone has and if they've gotten it to function properly :)  they'd make nifty little android tablets even if they just have wifi.
Last edited by quotaholic on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Android on WebDT366?

Post by quotaholic »

As Android is a linux based os I will have to move this thread to the linux section of the forum where the other android posts are.

Its a work in progress. I do not believe that anyone has a functional build yet however I could be wrong. I have tried the x86 v1 build with no success as well as the v2 x86 generic build. It will take someone designing it for the hardware in the google offered android SDK.

quotaholic
caleb68

Post by caleb68 »

I found this, but I haven't been able to get the webdt to successfully boot from a usb thumb drive. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22665/ru ... r-desktop/

seems fairly strait forward.  tried with ntfs, and fat32, neither was a go.
Dave7341

Post by Dave7341 »

I have it working - a little. It's very sluggish. I used this image:
android-x86-2.3-RC1-eeepc.iso
and this utility to make a bootable USB:
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I used my DT360LX with 512mb ram, Atheros NIC and desktop cradle. I used the LIVE version. What works:
WIFI
bluetooth
wired internet via the cradle
screen looks good when you choose MDPI at bootup
web browser, email, a few games - all just tried to see if they start up and work - no problems.
it LOOKS very good.

What does not work:
audio - no sound
touch screen
the mouse is very sluggish and quite annoying to use - could be due to running off the USB

I played for a few hours with it and the performance was so slow that it was painful. I'll install it to the internal WEBDT flash drive and see if performance improves.

Anyone else playing with Android? -Dave
Dave7341

Post by Dave7341 »

Android v3.2 for the eeePC works pretty well on the 360LX/512mb. It does not recognize the internal flash drive so you can't install it there but you can load it on a USB stick with decent performance. Much better performance than the v2.2 I tried before. The WIFI card was recognized with no trouble (I use WPA/WPA2) and I could surf the web with little trouble. Since I couldn't get it to see the internal drive I saw no reason to do a lot of testing. I suppose if you wanted to run it off a USB drive you could make it work out.

With XP working so well on these once you trim it down and with Puppy Linux also working well, there really doesn't seem to be a need for getting Android working on these. Especially when you can get a 7" droid tablet from Walmart for $80 with everything working out of the box.

Still, a challenge for someone.......
ShortMan

Post by ShortMan »

Its been a while since I picked up my dt, saw this post and I'm glad to see someone doodling with android.

you are spot on, Windows and pup lino are the best direction for these. I use mine in the garage and car for datalogging on OBD (I&II). These things can run legacy apps for another decade, and having dual batteries and the cradle and rubber bumpers just beg for a garage environment. Just wish I could navigate by sliding the screen instead of the using the skinny scroll bars.

Besides, the bluetooth makes for a great network streaming audio host that feeds my garage audio when it's not busy datalogging.

long live the armor plated WebDT!
BartBarrera

Post by BartBarrera »

Since I couldn't get it to see the internal drive I saw no reason to do a lot of testing. I suppose if you wanted to run it off a USB drive you could make it work out.
Cool dvd sales online are destined to wind up momentum!