Add Slax 6.1.1 to your dd tool box, working terminal in 3 minutes or less

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Add Slax 6.1.1 to your dd tool box, working terminal in 3 minutes or less

Post by volkswagner »

I just made a new USB boot device using the newly released Slax 6.1.1

I downloaded the USB version, extracted it to my USB, ran the /boot/bootinst.sh to make it bootable.

I added the new Slax USB to my USB hub along with keyboard and mouse, and second USB drive containing quotaholics Slacware IceWM.img file.  I then connected it to the WebDT.

When booting the Slax USB hit the esc key to get a boot prompt.  At the prompt enter

Code: Select all

slax vga=771
This will get you a text login, where you can enter root for user name an toor for the password.

You now have a fully functional terminal which when running

Code: Select all

fdisk -l
reads the internal /dev/hda properly.  Wahoo.......No more 15min boot of Ubuntu 7.04/7.10

I did try to run startx  in the terminal to see what the graphical environment had to offer.  I waited nearly twenty minutes but never got a desktop, all the while my Slax USB stick showed activity by flashing light.

Enjoy the 3minute terminal all you dd hounds.

Eric
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Add Slax 6.1.1 to your dd tool box, working terminal in 3 minutes or less

Post by Foxx »

Hells yes, thank you. I have been fighting with my external hardware and dd for a week now. I was half tempted to pull my FLashROM, make a gender bender adapter and hook it into an IDE Chain on another host PC to get this done. I'm really glad you got this going, much appreciated.
Hacking is not a crime, It's a passion - www.BSoDtv.org
If you need someone to IDE mod your DT366 toss me a PM.
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Add Slax 6.1.1 to your dd tool box, working terminal in 3 minutes or less

Post by Foxx »

volkswagner wrote: I just made a new USB boot device using the newly released Slax 6.1.1

I downloaded the USB version, extracted it to my USB, ran the /boot/bootinst.sh to make it bootable.
For those of you in Windows (I used XP) run /boot/bootinst.bat and follow the prompts on the screen.

You can use WinRAR to extract the .tar archive to a folder and send it over to your USB Thumbdrive.

Please note that we have been noticing that some thumbdrives do not boot on the WebDT, we have only assumptions of why this happens, mainly the age of the tablet itself.
Hacking is not a crime, It's a passion - www.BSoDtv.org
If you need someone to IDE mod your DT366 toss me a PM.