Global Moderator

PenMount Supports Various Linux Operating Systems

Post by angrymeat »

copied from
http://www.penmount.com/mail/2009/PMY09008_en.htm 
PenMount Bulletin No. PMY09008

Released Date?April 22, 2009

PenMount Supports Various Linux Operating Systems

There are many Linux distributions continually improving the kernel and X system to optimize graphic function and compatibility.  And this is helping a lot the touch system applications to be designed into the Linux system.  And PenMount is doing its part by continually working on its driver and utilities to fulfill the various Linux systems requirements.

PenMount had just released this month, April, the driver for the latest Linux Kernel 2.6.29. The Kernel is not only able to manage input devices systematically but also has hot-plug features for USB devices and SATA hard disk. In some of the Linux distributions, it can even install and remove Microsoft Windows platform, allowing Microsoft Windows� user to easily get used to Linux operating system.

The latest released driver of PenMount provides automatic screen rotation detection to meet these features of Intel, ATI, and Nvidia graphic chipset under X RandR Extension; and makes touch system operation more integrated. In case your system doesn�t work appropriately with X RandR function after booting, you will need to modify the settings of PenMount�s RandR in the direction /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The driver of PenMount also provides a lot of 3D desktop functions by �Compiz Fusion� of Linux plug-in, such as 3D Windows, Animations, Blur Windows, Cube Gears, Windows Decoration, and more pre-set functions.

PenMount is doing necessary modifications on the xorg.conf; moreover, in different Linux systems, the parameters will not be the same.  The latest released PenMount driver will automatically back-up the original xorg.conf file to ensure normal start up.  If you have other X window system settings, you can go to /etc/X11 to modify xorg.conf and start up these other functions.

In USB interface, starting from X.Org X11R7.3 Version (X Server 1.4), plug and play is supported.  When system detects new device, it will load HID driver, �evdev�, which helps user not to have to change or modify input device settings.  Since touch screen controller has not been standardized yet, PenMount USB needs to be driven first by the HID driver in Linux kernel then course through PenMount driver processing. 

As to the RS 232 interface PenMount installation in Linux system, unlike in Microsoft windows, the IRQ and I/O address settings of the COM port must be manually installed. This is the reason why the same device works well with Microsoft Windows but not with Linux.  When working under Linux system, you need to check whether the COM port has been initialized or not, especially COM1 and COM2.  If you should still have problems after checking out the FAQ from the driver readme file, please contact us via email and furnished us data such as Linux distribution version, kernel version, X system version, PenMount device part number and interface, PenMount Linux driver version and any other details that you can provide. The complete information you provide would help in the quick resolve of your problem.  And when working with embedded Linux system please also advise the hardware and software information details.

PenMount�s hardware and software are designed to meet the needs of the market. If there is any particular demand, please let us know, we will fully assist in the developmental process. For PenMount�s standard software and hardware information, please refer to the relevant product specifications, and data; all standard drivers can be downloaded from the web site, www.salt.com.tw or www.penmount.com. If you have any suggestions or comments please feel free to email us at salt@salt.com.tw or penmount@seed.net.tw.
akhileshss

Re: PenMount Supports Various Linux Operating Systems

Post by akhileshss »

Which among so many (3!) of the controllers is WebDT366 controller? Which of those drivers should we use in puppy linux?
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

We have the DMC9000 serial board in our DT366 units. This will set up on ttyS0 at 19200kb/s.

The buttons are known to be controlled by an "Atlas Button Controller" and the kernel module it is similarly named. If you find the controller please let me know I may have a piece of code for you.

I had asked about puppy support in a recent email to penmount. The notice that started this thread was the result. Long story short is that if penmount does not make a driver for it then there is not very much chance of getting the screen calibrated for it. I have been able to get input to the touchscreen on past attempts with unsupported distributions however calibration is likely going to be a large hurdle in your attempts.

quotaholic
akhileshss

Post by akhileshss »

I found this thread abt puppy and penmount. May be this is useful.
I tried installing that package on my puppy, but it seems to have hung. I am patiently waiting for it to install that package, but i think its struck.
Please post if you have any success with the touch screen driver on puppy.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41286

BTW, whoever found this puppy, man thanks a lot.. I have become an instant fan of puppy. I am running puppy from my 8GB USB pen drive... in read write mode :)