slitaz Work in progressq

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: slitaz Work in progressq

Post by quotaholic »

Rusty... Thats what I am. I forgot to compile the kernel in a way that included all the (deprecated) pata stuff as built in to the kernel and not as a module. Sigh. Just had a successful build in that it was a justx flavor but I made giant kernel with lots built in. It worked. All drivers loaded on boot but x was broken as I tried jwm build but failed as their build system really thought I meant openbox.

Whatever. It’s possible. Watching new kernel compile that is more specific and will build an lxde image to see how it loads. If I get it working I have ideas on buttons and will look forward to using a onboard command o turn system into live iso file. I will test and I hope that we have something modular here that can not require dd knowledge to install.

Now, on to xvkbd fonts and autologin.
Attachments
0C52B08B-64C8-4CB8-984F-F43136884EC8.jpeg
0C52B08B-64C8-4CB8-984F-F43136884EC8.jpeg (85.06 KiB) Viewed 12448 times
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Nothing worse than corrupted internal flash chip. Whack a mole. I would get kernel working and not have icons in window manager. Or not have working kernel and have most else working. Installed icon packages 5 times over and each time I get unrecognized image format. Guessing flash is shot. Replacing with a used chip and hoping for best.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

After two weeks of kernel building and various attempts, about 27 iso images, Slitaz may not work out too well. They issue a broken xvkbd pckage from their repo and its the only on screen keyboard they have. Hard to use these tablets without a keyboard.

If you dont care, Its easy to take core version and add

acpid
bluez
xvkbd
geode
evdev

and a few others. I found it necessary to strip most apps from the core image. Otherwise too much ram is taken up and tablet gets locked up saving without enough ram to do so. Sad, this is the fastest I have seen on the tablet.

I tried taz-puppy today as well as its a puppy that was built from slitaz but I cant get it to boot.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

FINALLY!!!!

This as not an easy workaround. If anyone is building theirselves....

Get the xorg-mkfontsdir
and the xorg-mkfontscale

packages from v5 slitaz and install on v3 using tazpkg on a manual usb insert after downloading the packages from slitaz package search site.

Go in to each directory within:

/usr/share/fonts/X11/

we have misc and util

run mkfontdir in each

run: fc-cache -f -c
run: fc-list to validate that they are there via total counts and category inclusion

If its installed like mine is run:

tazusb writefs gzip /dev/hda1

and wait for it to finish. On reboot you should have a working on screen keyboard.

One out of 4. 3 left to go.

If this hardware hopes to be usable and this Slitaz os takes 25 min to save a session to rootfs we need suspend as well as autologin and to put icing on the cake I want to get xdotool woking to map the xvkbd instance on and off the screen as it was mentioned to be faster via another poster here.
Attachments
85E51E2A-36FB-4DA3-B132-3B9058CFCFF9.jpeg
85E51E2A-36FB-4DA3-B132-3B9058CFCFF9.jpeg (84.2 KiB) Viewed 12429 times
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Again rusty,

If you are building iso’s on slitaz please dont make the same mistake I did. Tazlito preloads a few packages in to the package list for “linux-wireless” and “linux-dri” and linux-bluetooth” and so forth. This is bad. Get rid of them. On the hardware I have to rebuild the kernel and often save 2 megs on compressed size however I just realized that if these packages come in they overlay “i386-smp” kernel modules on to my “geode cpu” specific kernel causing a bunch of module load errors. Took a while to trace it out. Fixed now but for some reason my xvkbd fix is not taking.

This is actually good. The response on the touchscreen with the geode driver is amazingly efficient. I am loading cellwriter now and seeing if I can map it with the xdotool script that member mobad exampled. Cellwriter has a keyboard mode that looks about 20 years newer than xvkbd as well as ofers options of recognizing handwriting in the form of keystrokes for characters. Like palmpilot. Cell writer can dock and you may see some things missing if you run it from the command line. librsvg brings in like 6 other packages that seem fluffy.

Working on autologin now as slitaz seems to screw up on en or us combinations. If you put in en for a language it aims you at uk for locale settings via other syslinux scripts that aggregate to boot the hardware. I didnt keep grub. Stuck with syslinux as its prettier to look at during boot but the way slitaz boots is kind of conterproductive to getting autologin to work with a broken locale system that, if working, would have led to a working /etc/profile. Seems to be needed or autologin to work. Getting closer...
Attachments
cellwriter in keyboard mode
cellwriter in keyboard mode
ACE22B8B-19F3-444E-8C58-803268B608E3.jpeg (92.9 KiB) Viewed 12412 times