Debain 5 LXDE 1.0

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Debain 5 LXDE 1.0

Post by quotaholic »

Debian WebDT 366 1.0

This release packs a lot of features. Although LXDE is a little slow on the DT please test out the new bluetooth connection gui and let me know if it works or not. Also on the slow side is a scribble application called Xournal.  It lets you take notes on the screen in your own handwriting. May be too much application for the DT but I left it in for testing purposes. 

This is an image of Debian 5 aka lenny.

Root pass: webdt
User login: webdt
User pass: webdt

Included software:

LXDE - Window manager
Xvkbd - On screen keyboard.
Pcmanfm - File manager
MC - Ncurses file manager
Lxterminal - Terminal
Xcalc - Calculator
Opera - Web browser
Wicd  - Wifi profile and connection utility
WeeChat - Ncurses IRC chat
BTscanner - Bluetooth device discovery
Obconf - Open Box configuration panel
LeafPad - Text Editor
gCal - Touch screen calibration
Xournal - Scribble note taking application
MC - File manager
Spectool_gtk  -  Gui for the Wi-Spy device
Xarchiver  -  Archiving utility
Sonata  -  Mp3 player
Gpicview  -  Image viewer
Gv - PDF viewer
Synergy - Share mouse and keyboard over wifi
Xpaint - Painting applications
Blueman - Bluetooth gui application for sharing with devices
gnome-bluetooth-services - receive a file over bluetooth (needed for blueman)
Bluez-audio  -  Use bluetooth as an alsa output

Debian is very stable and you can feel free to remove and add
packages as you wish however, please know that apt-cache can claim
upwards of 60mb in one update. I would advise downoading the deb
of the package you want the use "dpkg -i " to install.
If errors happen from unmet dependencies use "apt-get -f install"
to repair missing dependencies.

Disc usage is 505964 total
              469708 used
               36256 free

Use it wisely. As always I suggest a CFcard and some symlinks. LXDE is a little slow but this is the most featured release yet. In the future after I relocate I will work on building a image with a lighter weight to it. I wanted to get a bluetooth gui working and LXDE was the easiest way for me to accomplish that.

The partition was prepared with "noatime" to reduce write backs to the flash.

weechat is the IRC chat client. Sign from the terminal with:
"weechat-curses irc://you@irc.freenode.net/#webdt"
Clicking on the weechat icon will sign you on to the #webdt room as "webdt-user"

If you wish to use btscanner please do so on cli as su or root. You will not pick any devices up as a user.

Let me know how the blueman application works if you think of it. I have no bluetooth devices and cant easily test it out.

Xournal is a little slow to update the screen, I am guessing that 256 may not be enough ram for it to keep on on the draw. Cool application to have so I left it for those on the go.

Adding launchers to the LXDE dock is a matter of making the associated "desktop file". For instance, xvkbd did not show up in a menu so I had to make the xvkbd.desktop file in a text editor and put the file in /usr/share/applications. Once there we can select it as an application to add to the launcher from the gui. Here is a link to an example:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/apa.html

Please use full paths to the icon when making a desktop file and be careful not to be root when making the files. They will not show up for the user.

Thanks goes to Penmount for releasing this driver and making lenny possible on a DT.

The md5 on the zip file is:
373511ef51315933edebc87a31645959

I am using an apple computer to zip these so please double check the md5's. I have had odd reports on sizes when unzipped. The md5 for the image is inside the zip file.

Image is here:

****Temporarily removed due to image not working. A new one is being built currenlty****
Last edited by quotaholic on Tue May 05, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ionbladez

Re: Debain 5 LXDE 1.0

Post by ionbladez »

thanks a lot! I'm downloading right now and will flash this as soon as it's done.
The bluetooth audio output is exactly what I was looking for.
However, the audio did not work on LXDE at all - hopefully it will be fixed after I reflash it.

Hope to get it working 100%, I'll be needing the template locations too, I've looked all over in the .config and can't seem to find anything useful.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

You know I was trying to sleep one night after posting that last lxde image and I kept asking myself "did I run alsaconf?" and I never did remember. Could have been the issue in getting the sound working. Sorry about that. I usually stay up for about 30 hours when I make an image so I run a little thin on concentration near the end. Bad habit but good for productivity. Alsa and all that is needed for sound should be in this image.

Now these templates you mention? I dont know what you are asking me for. I downloaded all the packages I used on these "lenny" images form the link below. If you are looking for the packages, if you are asking for something else please let me know. I apologize as I dont understand the question.

http://packages.debian.org/lenny

Well all except that one ubuntu btioctl package that blueman needed.

If by .config you are looking for the menu items on LXDE then look here:

http://u-lite.org/?q=node/136

I managed a quick work around by adding launchers to the dock for the items that did not make it to the menu but this is a workaround and not a solution.

Hope it helps
quotaholic
ionbladez

Post by ionbladez »

I've got it downloaded, on a thumbdrive, and something's going on.
I used DSL to flash it before,
Now I'm trying the same thing and every time I do
dd if=/mnt/sda1/debian.img of=/mnt/hda or hda1
it throws me an error
"There is no space left on device" or "is a directory".
I remember doing /mnt/hda while UNMOUNTED and that's how I did it before, I think.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Double check your md5 numbers at each step. I zipped on an apple computer. One person told me when they right clicked and decompressed it was over 500 megs. By using a text based command they hit the target.

I have only used the slax 6.1.1 method as few others have been proven to work. Many distros fail to correctly identify hda. Run:

Code: Select all

fdisk -l

To list your devices and check the numbers to see if dsl is getting hda right.

I have never mounted hda when I dd. I only mount the usb device. I always erase and prep a new partition with cfdisk. I make that partition bootable and type 83. Often I need to reboot after this step to refresh the partition table.

After this is done I dd the image to hda. Not including the number. Do these resemble the steps you have taken and can you double check fdisk -l with dsl to make sure it is seeing hda as it should?

quotaholic
vinograd19

Post by vinograd19 »

qutaholic, there seems to be a filesystem error. My md5sum fits, but I've got an error while booting. You may use fschk.

Thanks.
ionbladez

Post by ionbladez »

Ya same here, except it will not let me fsck.
It says "Mounted with write permissions" or something like that.
Anyways that's what should be allowed.
Weird, I reflashed it 2 times already.
ionbladez

Post by ionbladez »

I've been having SEVERE and MULTIPLE filesystem errors.
I can boot once, goes to the desktop, then shut down and start up again, DIRECTORY NOT FOUND;
Doesn't show graphical anything.

I've flashed it 4 times already, and fsck won't fix it.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Guys I am so sorry. Until 7am I was trying to get the image fsck'd myself. Aside from booting a live os on the dt and doing it from a live cd I could not find a way to do this. I am curious why all file system checks that performed at boot indicated my file system was clean. Possibly during dd something bad happened. I have installed over 50 times on this compact flash card too so possibly that is wearing out too.

Furthermore I tested the sontata mp3 player and it would not read media from the compact flash card. In an effort to get something that worked I completely filled the drive making the image useless. I will have to build another. Aqualung also did not see the media but gxine did. I cant help but think you will be disappointed with the performance. USB1.1 and audio. It takes about 20 seconds for a track to play after you press play. Both the operating system and audio must buffer in 256mb of ram.

The wifi and the bluetooth are the fastest conduits on the DT. It was designed to be a thin client. I think that the DT would make a great controller for an mpd playing on another machine. To host an operating system and to buffer media is, in my opinion, too much for 400mhz annd 256mb. Combine usb1.1 speeds for the compact flash card and the dependencies of the media players......            I would have better luck making media player in slackware for the reason that apt wants to put everything including the kitchen sink in for dependencies. However the blueman package is not available as a package for slackware.

As it will take me a week to get another image done I would suggest that if you are still seeking a music player take one of the previous lenny images I have made and work off of that. The bluetooth packages you need are not large. I can archive them and email if you would like to pursue and make your own opinions on music players on the DT. I am moving in a short time and have yet to pack.

Again I apologize this image did not work for you. It has been removed. 
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Ok look for the new image that ends in 1.1, this has almost all the same features and was rebuilt from scratch. Hopefully this one works better.

quotaholic