Custom Linux Build with Wifi, Touchscreen, and Firefox

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
paulcsf

Custom Linux Build with Wifi, Touchscreen, and Firefox

Post by paulcsf »

I have lurked for a while, but today put together a very brief page about the custom Linux build that I put together for the DT366 some time ago.

I think the information contained in the build script will be more valuable as opposed to the build script directly.

The system is a read-only file system, ramfs filesystems used for run-time operation, boots to a full screen Firefox, with WiFi. The touchscreen works, and the calibration routines are included and work. To use the calibration routines, the filesystem must be re-mounted read/write so that it can write the new calibration values.

I'll try to help and support any efforts related to this.

d-m-eng.com/opensource/DT366/DT366.html

Paul
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Custom Linux Build with Wifi, Touchscreen, and Firefox

Post by quotaholic »

Hats off to you Sir!

Wonderful work! I had often thought about a LFS approach however my last run around with PenMount left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Tried to use tslib unsuccessfully in making the touchscreen operate.

I have a ton of questions however let me start with only a few.

How did you get the touchscreen operating?

Do you run xorg? Or outside of FF is it a terminal interface?

What percentage of disk (assuming 500 - 512mb) is taken?

Again, nice job!

quotaholic
paulcsf

Post by paulcsf »

For the touchscreen I used the TouchKit-2.03.1712-32b-k26.tar.gz package from www.egalax.com.tw (new address??? http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/eg/Touch_Drives.html). This is compiled as a kernel module and Xorg driver. I did have to blacklist a couple of the standard touchscreen drivers.

It is running Xorg with TWM as the window manager. At one point I started working on upgrading to FF5 from FF2, had it all working except that FF was no longer full-screen-ing right. I got as far as thinking I needed to move to a newer window manager to fix that problem.

After stripping most of the doc/man/src and debug/extra information from the executables and libraries, the image is around 360M (with FF5). I have it in my notes I was around 260M (would have been FF2).

Paul
thom

Post by thom »

I'd like to give this a shot. I am totally looking for something very light like this for my home automation.

Would it be easy to add festival to it? I need the tablets to log into my festival server to remotely play voice commands.

Thanks.
rickb54

Post by rickb54 »

This looks like something that would be easy for a well educated person in linux, but that I'm not, would it be possible to get a step by step,
on Howto put this all together and put it on my WEBDT366. Please help ;D