Complete Image of Puppy 4.3.1 including Penmount drivers and hardware buttons

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
matt
Developer
Developer

Complete Image of Puppy 4.3.1 including Penmount drivers and hardware buttons

Post by matt »

I have battled with a puppy and won...

You can download a complete 'dd' disk image of Puppy Linux 4.3.1 for WebDT from here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6X1XQ74F

Alternatively, if you have already succeeded in installing Puppy Linux 4.3.1 to your WebDT in 'frugal' mode (ie: your Puppy has saved a pupsave.2fs file somewhere) then you can save yourself some trouble and simply replace your pupsave.2fs file with this one:
(However, you will need to boot your WebDT using another live linux in order to replace that file, since it is a very bad idea to replace it while puppy is running)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6CPSGDCT

Things you might want to do after installing:

* Increase the size of the pupsave.2fs file... This file contains all user files and applications, so you'll want it bigger. Do this by choosing "Resize personal storage file" from the Utility menu. Resize by 64meg, and again by 32meg if you can. (There are limited options... I chose 64meg but then manually edited the text file it told me about to increase it by ~100meg, since that is the space free on this install)

* Change your Timezone and Locale options... I selected Australia. You might not want that. Go to "Chooselocale country localisation" from the Desktop menu

* Calibrate your touchscreen again. Choose "Penmount Calibration (Standard)" from the System menu... Or, for a more rigorous calibration, type "gCalib 25" at a command prompt

* Change some key bindings for the front hardware buttons. You can do this by editing /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal More info available here:http://joewing.net/programs/jwm/config.shtml#keys

* Install some other applications. There are some available from the "install" icon on the Desktop (choose Puppy Package Manager). Otherwise, look in the murga-linx.com forums for more ".pet" files. They seem to be more up-to-date than the ones available in the package manager.

Besides the default Puppy applications, I have installed:
Seamonkey 2-rc1 Web Browser
xvkbd on screen keyboard
acpitool (for suspend-to-ram)

The hardware buttons have been set to
Power - suspend-to-ram
1 - toggle keyboard
2 - open "My Documents"
3 - Launch Seamonkey
4 - toggle desktop

If you want to copy the above disk image to a USB flash drive instead, you will need to edit the "extlinux.conf" file at the root of the drive and change "pmedia=ataflash" to "pmedia=usbflash".

There is approximately 164+ meg available for installing new programs on this install (after enlarging your pupsave.2fs file). Puppy is supposed to be smart about finding the pupsave.2fs file if you move it to another drive but it doesn't (seem to) detect the compact flash slot at boot unfortunately. If you are content to always have a usb drive plugged in, you can move the pupsave.2fs file to a usb drive and enlarge it further. To do this, you will have to boot from another live linux OS, since the pupsave.2fs file is always in use. Alternatively, you can edit the "extlinux.conf" file and change "pfix=copy" to "pfix=ram" for this session only... That will allow you to boot puppy in fresh mode, MOVE the pupsave.2fs, and (after editing the "pfix=ram" back to "pfix=copy") reboot (choosing "don't save" at the prompt)....

I can try to help with WebDT specific questions about this install. If you have questions about Puppy Linux itself, try the murga-linux.com/puppy forums

Hope it works for you!
Last edited by matt on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt
Developer
Developer

Re: Complete Image of Puppy 4.3.1 including Penmount drivers and hardware buttons

Post by matt »

The installed version of xvkbd is 2.6

Version 3.0 (the newest) is available here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37194
matt
Developer
Developer

Re: Complete Image of Puppy 4.3.1 including Penmount drivers and hardware buttons

Post by matt »

The current behaviour of the suspend-to-ram doesn't wake up the wireless card when resuming.

I fixed this by making a script in my /root/my-applications/bin called "suspendandwake"

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
sync
acpitool -s
source /etc/rc.d/rc.network
What it does is the usual suspend (using acpitool) but when it wakes up it will execute the network init code that runs at boot.

Save that script into your /root/my-applications/bin folder then change the permission to executable:

Code: Select all

chmod 755 /root/my-applications/bin/suspendandwake
Then change the keybinding in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal from "exec:acpitool -s" to "exec:suspendandwake"

Better!
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Wow Matt. Looks like you pulled an all nighter by your post times. Thank you very much for your contributions. I have your image installed and I am enjoying the functionality of the buttons and the touchscreen. Great Job! Take a bow and do a victory lap.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

Kudos Matt!

Downloading now.  I'll image the disk soon and load up a terminal server soon.

I'll keep you posted.

Functioning suspend is just what I was after.
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

Wow, thanks again Matt.
.  I am
I just wanted to update my experience.  I have little post install time, and just about the same Puppy experience.  The overall experience does seem a little sluggish, although the number of default apps may make up for it.

I had an issue when first setting up wireless on the stock card, using WEP.  Wifi manager locked up the first time, but a reboot and second attempt went fine.

Please tell me about shutdown behavior.  After a power-off via Menu, the system does not fully halt.  I am left with a black screen with "saving to.....to file.."  I have to use power off button.  Is this normal?

Seems even the kitchen sink is there.  I was able to connect to my SAMBA shares.  I tried to play an MP3 via the network.  I had some long buffers, and odd static.  It did straighten out after a bit with only minor hiccups.  Perhaps a wireless G card would help.  Still amazing to get ssh and Samba out of the box.

I still add your script for acpi, as sleep mode is high on my list.  IMHO, sleep and a functioning dock increase around the house usability ten fold!
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
matt
Developer
Developer

Post by matt »

Please tell me about shutdown behavior.  After a power-off via Menu, the system does not fully halt.  I am left with a black screen with "saving to.....to file.."  I have to use power off button.  Is this normal?
Hmmm.. it seems you are right.... The shutdown seems to hang... It first says "Puppy is shutting down" and then 30 seconds later it says "Saving session to /pupsave.2fs (sda1)" but doesn't seem to do much from then on.... I waited 5 minutes and the blue hard drive activity LED had stopped blinking, so I hard reset. It complained about a bad shutdown but my most recent changes to some application settings were intact. I tried poking around in the /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown script but I don't really know what I'm doing... Anyway - a subsequent restart and it shutdown correctly the next time, so it's anyone's guess. I tend not to shutdown anyway.

Seems even the kitchen sink is there.  I was able to connect to my SAMBA shares.  I tried to play an MP3 via the network.  I had some long buffers, and odd static.  It did straighten out after a bit with only minor hiccups.  Perhaps a wireless G card would help.  Still amazing to get ssh and Samba out of the box.
I installed Alsa-Streamtuner-2 from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38590 which allows me to play internet radio flawlessly. The alsaplayer is a good low memory option, particularly since it can be run as a no-GUI commandline player as well. I have installed a Wireless-G card using ndiswrapper and it is working very well.

I have to say that the software repositories for Puppy linux aren't very well maintained.... You really have to search their forum (murga-linux.com) for user-posted links to decent software packages. I also installed VLC media player and had some reasonable success streaming movies from a network drive. The framerate was 'ok' when VLC was running in a window (not fullscreen).

I still add your script for acpi, as sleep mode is high on my list.  IMHO, sleep and a functioning dock increase around the house usability ten fold!
Although the WebDT can do some things acceptably (eg: stream internet radio/podcasts) it really doesn't perform as well as I would like. My intention is to use it strictly as a front-end to a terminal server that has a bit more grunt. However, getting Puppy Linux on there was an important first step, since I would like to have scripting control over the buttons and automatic reconnect after sleep etc. etc.

Currently my WebDT is mounted on a monitor arm, which swings under a kitchen shelf when not in use. Makes it great to access streaming media in the kitchen. I also bought a mini keyboard for it to save the hassle of the onscreen keyboard; "New Super Slim Mini USB Keyboard with Retractable Cable" from eBay;

It's about the size of the external battery, but half as thin.

If you're game, there is a Puppy derivative called "TurboPup" that claims to be even faster. You can read about it here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40477

Best wishes!
Last edited by matt on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bradb

Post by bradb »

Hi.

I have a question, I'm new, so please forgiv me :-))))
but how load this img into internal memory ???
thanks.
matt
Developer
Developer

Post by matt »

bradb wrote: Hi.

I have a question, I'm new, so please forgiv me :-))))
but how load this img into internal memory ???
thanks.
Check out the FAQ section of this website. There are two posts that you may be interested in:

How to backup your current os on your Dt 366
http://webdt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2

How to install a linux image on to a DT
http://webdt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8

Long story short, this image is a 'dd' disk image. You need to boot your WebDT with a linux CD (or USB stick) in order to load this image into internal memory.

If that's too tricky, consider downloading Puppy Linux 4.31 to a CD and booting your WebDT with that CD. You can then install Puppy to your WebDT using commands from the menus. Once successful, you can replace the pup_save.2fs file with the one I linked to in my first post.
yamaii

Post by yamaii »

thanks matt evrything work perfect :)
yamaii

Post by yamaii »

how to make right button click ?
photodude

Post by photodude »

I just got my DT366 from ebay... I think it will do the trick... WinCE was too limiting... SO.. Great job there Matt... I tried several linux distros but this one seems to work best so far... the img file made it very simple to install... but my hot keys just quit working somehow... I used xev to verify that the keys work and I made sure the config file worked... but after a few reboots they no longer work... any help would be great.
photodude

Post by photodude »

yamaii wrote: how to make right button click ?

Another great question... I used xev and the button on the right side... doesn't register in linux

I'd like to use it to toggle screen brightness.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

In my experiences if I had anything plugged in to the usb bus while booting I may not have had buttons that session. Any chance you had usb devices plugged in during boot?

Let us know on the screen brightness. We use a generic vesa driver on the gx hardware and afaik the geode driver (that would permit brightness adjustment) is still broken, but I could be wrong.
photodude

Post by photodude »

I got it... I didn't realize those keys correspond to F13 - F16... I found out by setting a keyboard shortcut to another desktop item... doing some exploring. 

NOW... just need a little better way to discover and connect to wireless networks... one problem at a time I guess... I'm looking for a little more intuitive app I guess.
Last edited by photodude on Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.