Complete Image of Puppy 4.3.1 including Penmount drivers and hardware buttons

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Complete Image of Puppy 4.3.1 including Penmount drivers and hardware buttons

Post by quotaholic »

Ahh I was in the same boat. In the murga-linux forums I see lots of good mention around wpa-supplicant-gui.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48816

Wicd is the best wireless app I have used so far but it is not available as a .pet as of yet it seems.

http://wicd.net/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=472

Considering how much trouble I had with the same task I am actually quite surprised that wicd is not standard issue for Puppy. After hours of poking around in "Pwireless" and the newer one I managed to get connected. It did take swapping out my cisco pcmcia card for a netgear for it to happen though.
casm

Re: Complete Image of Puppy 4.3.1 including Penmount drivers and hardware buttons

Post by casm »

quotaholic wrote: Considering how much trouble I had with the same task I am actually quite surprised that wicd is not standard issue for Puppy. After hours of poking around in "Pwireless" and the newer one I managed to get connected. It did take swapping out my cisco pcmcia card for a netgear for it to happen though.
I had no problems with getting the Aironet to connect, but the GUI is definitely fiddly.  FWIW, when I say, 'no problems getting it to connect', I'm referring to my test WiFi network, which is running completely open.  The house network is running WPA2 with AES, so that's a no-go without ndiswrapper.

Overall, though, I'm very impressed with what's been achieved with Puppy Linux.  XP Embedded has it beaten on GUI responsiveness and Aironet support, but for a first shot at an out-of-the-box distro specific to the WebDT it's damned good.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses over the next few months.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

My bad, should have included the detail that I am running a newer cisco card. Found a AIR-CB21AG-A-K9 for around 20 bucks online. Couldnt resist. Puppy so far is the only distro I have run on the DT366 with this card and had problems. ifupdown seems to segfault when initializing.
kiiid

Post by kiiid »

Can anyone help please? The .img file from the initial post seems to be invalid. How did you people manage to burn it onto a CD?  :-[
Last edited by kiiid on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

The image file is applied to the internal flash disk using linux dd command.  There are instructions here how to image the drive using dd and a live Linux distro.

forum/viewtopic.php?t=8
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
trmptplyr2368

Post by trmptplyr2368 »

awesome image, using a bootable flash drive from pendrivelinux, a linux newb like me was able to get this up and running in about 20 mins... this certainly makes linux a little bit more attainable an option than i was thinking... thanks a lot for the image...
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Hold on now, did you say flash drive? Do you mean USB or Compact flash or internal flash drive? I am glad you got things working I just want to make things very clear for others who see your post.

Let us know
quotaholic
trmptplyr2368

Post by trmptplyr2368 »

I used a USB bootable Flash Drive... my apologies... I suppose I wasn't particularly clear there... sorry for any confusion....
kiiid

Post by kiiid »

Having the image on a mounted flash stick and issuing the command "dd if=/mnt/Puppy(and so on).img of=/dev/sda1" on my DT366, I receive after about 15 minutes the message:

dd: writing to '/dev/sda1': no space left on device
1012033+0 records in
1012032+0 records out
518160384 bytes (518 MB) copied, 945.331 s, 548 kb/s

The internal flash sda1 is 512M and has been formatted to ext4.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

Hmn, brave using Ext4...LOL

Anyway, perhaps you have a bad download, or bad image extraction.  To confirm, how did you extract the .img file from the .gz download?

The .img should be 500MB.  Do a md5checksum on the .img.  Here is results from my md5.

2a178d7324bf1f7b69cd2169a92dc348  Pup.img

Note, I did shorten the file name, but that should not affect the checksum.

My initial thoughts were you were trying to write the .gz which may have more info, but I see you ended file name .img.
kiiid

Post by kiiid »

There is nothing wrong with the image. I just downloaded and unzipped it for the third time. It is 524,288,000 bytes long. Yet there is still no success when trying to apply it to the internal flash  :-[
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Complete Image of Puppy 4.3.1 including Penmount drivers and hardware button

Post by quotaholic »

Two things I can think of off the bat while at work.

From memory puppy does not support ext4. Installing to internal flash required ext3 or other options like reiserX.

Second, you are moving this dd image (img) of puppy from a flash stick while using another live linux distro like Slax yes?

Also, dont use /dev/sda1

instead use /dev/sda

The difference is the first designation tells dd to push that image on to the first partition on the drive.

The second tells it to use the whole drive.

Let us know
quotaholic
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

Yes, sorry I did not pick up on that earlier.  The image was created using /dev/hda, therefore should be reversed the same way.
kiiid

Post by kiiid »

Thanks very much for the advices! I've got it working. Using ext2 and of=/dev/sda was the solution.

Thanks again  8)
trmptplyr2368

Post by trmptplyr2368 »

Hello all,
The same problem actually happened to me with this image as well, it seemed to fix itself when I used cfdisk to delete all partitions. I don't know enough about linux to know if that was in fact what solved it but it seems that any image seems to have some sort of hang up if the drive is partitioned already... Is that inherent to linux or is it simply just something i'm doing? I would imagine that a raw disk image would likely carry the partition information with it, at least that what ghost images do (.gho). If not, is there any way to create a dd image such that the partition information could be carried along with it? That could make life a lot easier for us linux-newbs... provided it wasn't an intensely inconvenient process... sorry if the question is a bit out of place,

-trmptplyr