Complete Image of Puppy 4.3.1 including Penmount drivers and hardware buttons

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Complete Image of Puppy 4.3.1 including Penmount drivers and hardware buttons

Post by quotaholic »

Glad that you got it working kiid, Sorry for the sda vs hda mix up.

In my faq guide for dd'ing I mentioned its recommended to partition first as I have also run in to this as well. Going out of town for the weekend. When I get back I  may have a look at the MCE image for the webdt as it is scripted to do this automatically from memory.

I had hoped to put a video together by this point showing this but I have some scary electrical things going on in the place I am living and cant seem to get usb to see more than one device at a time on my passive hub / DT368 combination. Will pick up an active hub on payday and try again.

quotaholic
kiiid

Re: Complete Image of Puppy 4.3.1 including Penmount drivers and hardware buttons

Post by kiiid »

Yeah, it great to have some use of that old DT366.
I just wanted to share a few comments about my experience with the Puppy.

Generally it works almost satisfactory well, the virtual keyboard though, is a real pain. Compared to the one original one in the WinCE software it is pretty much useless, apparently I am either too stupid or too eager, but never actually figured out how to use it effectively. No way.

The startup takes about 5 minutes. Ouch! Same story for the shutdown...

I don't really understand why everything is so sluggish - it's a 500MHz CPU after all! We used to have like these for animation and CAD design just a few years ago!

In a few words - it's not going to be my everyday machine (yet). Maybe I am getting too old to expect more respect from today's programmers to hardware like this. Maybe there won't be any really well working OS on it... If there was just a simple and quick shell with just a basic browser, PDF reader and well done on-screen keyboard, I'd be happier than a drunken junkie...  :)
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Complete Image of Puppy 4.3.1 including Penmount drivers and hardware button

Post by quotaholic »

I too noticed that puppy was a little on the slow side. Possibly its something to do with..... well I am not sure. I do know that most of the images I have made operate much faster in both response and in startup time.

Now that you are a dd expert feel free to try out any of the other images here. 

This one was one of my favorites:

forum/viewtopic.php?p=1263#p1263

The newer LXDE image I made has a functioning apt package manager. It has a browser but you may need to get a pdf reader.

This command would do:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install --without-recommends epdfreader

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude remove gpe
Should free up some space as well.

xvkbd is the onscreen keyboard and can be scripted to look just like the win ce keyboard with no number pad on the side. Its been a while but I think I set the keyboard up this way in the E-17 images. Should be one button press to activate it and one press to deactivate and make it go away.

One of the things that makes the DT really slow is the usb1.1 bus speed. That and operating system kernels just keep getting bigger and bigger these days. If I can ever get caught up I wanted to make a dev environment and roll a custom kernel. Or patch an existing one to not be as heavy. 

quotaholic
Coburn64

Post by Coburn64 »

Oooh, very nice. I guess I'll download it and try it out, I'm sure it will be useful... Could even make a dualboot setup.... Now, that's an idea!
Coburn64
Linux Geek, Owner of Coburn's Domain, "Geek In The Family" Blog Owner
http://www.coburndomain.org :: http://www.geekinthefamily.com
Like my work? Please Donate!
WebDT 366 Owner
serialjoepsycho

Post by serialjoepsycho »

anyone that has a working copy could you give me a copy of the xorg.conf
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

serialjoepsycho wrote: anyone that has a working copy could you give me a copy of the xorg.conf
I believe it is posted here.
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
thom

Post by thom »

I've got this installed on my DT366. I got the sound working and the screen calibrated. I can't seem to get the wireless working.

I pulled the card, and it seems to be a zocom XI-325. While I am a pro on Fedora/Redhat/CentOS, I have no clue on PuppyLinux.

Does anyone have drivers and instructions on getting them installed on this image?

It seems like the wlan-ng drivers will work, but I'm not sure where to begin.

Thanks.
thom

Post by thom »

Anybody have the brightness control working on this? For some reason my brightness dimmed down, and I can no longer figure out how to get it to turn back on.  >:(
faithful

Post by faithful »

Thanks, Matt, I have it working for a couple of weeks, and just getting around to thanking you.
With you puppy version in a USB flash disk, I have even been able to load Team View and control my home computer from the WebDT366.

Thanks Again

John
freygo

Re: Complete Image of Puppy 4.3.1 including Penmount drivers

Post by freygo »

Hi all.

Sorry Matt, could be possible to get the link to the image again.

Thanks in advance.

Javier.
freygo

Post by freygo »

:-[ :-[ :-[ :'( :'( :'(

Ok, i think that it is too late to contact with Matt, so, if anybody has the image and wants to share with me, will be wellcome. ^-^

Thanks from Spain.

Javier. O0
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

I have a copy of the image you are looking for. About to leave for work in a few minutes. Let me set up a way for you to download. I'll either pm you this evening, when I return home from work, or reply to this thread.

quotaholic
freygo

Post by freygo »

OK, many thanks.

I'll be waiting your news............. ;).
freygo

Post by freygo »

Mission accomplished.

Thank you very much.

The best. Javier.
Submaix

Post by Submaix »

I'm intersted but I can't download, all the files are in Megaupload, can you reupload?