Slackware linux working on a WebDT366

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Slackware linux working on a WebDT366

Post by quotaholic »

Hey Everyone,

I am excited to say that just a little while ago I got Slackware linux version 12.0 installed and working on my DT366.

I uploaded a video to google here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-836613781694129945

Its a little late at the moment and due to the level of detail needed to document a Slackware install I will update this thread tomorrow.

NEW
Ok Its the next day at 3:20am. The dd image just finished uploading and I felt that offering an image would be better peace keeping technique. I filled out six pages of instructions and I was only at 50 percent. If I handed off six pages of instructions to you I felt I would hear some negative comments. So to make things easier for everyone here is the image I created of Slackware linux 12 on my DT. Thank you to tkmedia and angrymeat for helping me with dd.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/aga2405/n/WebDT_Slackware_12_0_Image_tar_bz2 This is the dd file

and

http://www.filefactory.com/file/aga3f7c/n/WebDT_Slackware_12_0_Img_tar_bz2 This is the .img file

Here is what you need to know:

In the archive is a folder with three files. A dd image of my DT's operating system. The slackware book in pdf format and the readme file. Read the readme. Keep the book for reference and install the image.

Start this os up with a keyboard attached. I am sorry but I am still learning how to script auto login. Normally this is done with a heavy kde or gnome login manager. Not enough room for such "fluff".

I am assuming that you can all dd your own image over to a drive and again to your dt. If not refer to the FAQ

user:  webdt
pass:  webdt

rootpass:  1179

I set lilo to blow by the boot line with no timeout as the xorg.conf is working "ok". I think penmount settings can be tweeked a little more. Other than that the xorg file allows for touch screen operation along with usb mouse operation.

Right click can be executed by touching one spot on screen for 250ms without movement. If you drink coffee like I do try coming at the screen almost horizontal with the stylus. Almost like the held chop sticks approaching the dinner plate.

I changed things up a little from the video.
To preserve on space and nothing else this is a beta version with the fluxbox window manager.

Applications were also chosen with this in mind (firefox was the only browser option in the slackware repository other than seamonkey)

After you get this installed on your DT come back here by starting firefox (takes 28 seconds the first time) and grab this link:

http://packages.slackware.it/

Its a package browser download site. Book mark it. Make sure to line up the 12.0 version and not the default which is "current". You have about 45 megabytes left on the hard drive and in the readme are instructions on how to remove and add software as well as monitor disk space.

I ask that everyone who installs this os come back on here with your dt's. Fire up xvkbd and post a quick one!

let me know if it works

quotaholic

NEW

It seems that two testers have had problems getting networking to function out of the box. No problem. If this happens to you please scroll down to Volkswagners post about how to get eth1 up. Volkswagner figured out that my DT was associating eth0 and his DT366 was associating eth1.
Last edited by quotaholic on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fleegman
Developer
Developer

Re: Slackware linux working on a WebDT366

Post by Fleegman »

o_O

Great job!  You've surely 'ousted' my NimbleX with this one.  Can't wait for the write up.
Last edited by Fleegman on Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Post by david_halliday »

Nice!
spouky

Post by spouky »

Sounds very interesting...

Would be nice to have some day a ghost image for newbies like me...

DD sounds simple to Linux long term owners, but not for Linux new comers since it requires console usage...

Thanks in advance to consider this suggestion!

Denis from CANADA
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

once he finishes his final build hes happy with I will create a ghost image.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Sorry if I made something that you cant use spouky. to be honest I had to get help to make the image because I am not all that familiar with dd myself. As I dont have anything running windows within reach this was about my only option.

I am currently working on trying to get a version of slackware with xfce installed as the file manager. As you can imaging it a juggling act with space. I'll let angrymeat know as soon as I am done so the ghost can be created.

quotaholic
vinograd19

Post by vinograd19 »

It's great, looks very nice.
For login in without keyboard, you can do something like this

As for me, I don't have an external usb keyboard, so if you can, please, make an image with logging in...
Anyway, good job, quotaholic!
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

Thanks quotaholic.  All your hard work is appreciated.

I would like to take the time to explain my experience with this install.

My initial boot, I had at my disposal a USB hub with attached keyboard and mouse.  I ran the netconfig utility but I still did not have networking.  This is not quote's fault.  My machine registered the WiFi card on eth1, where some machines like quote's, register on eth0.

Here is how I got networking on my install:
Warning to complete the task we need to be logged as root.

Code: Select all

su
enter root password

netconfig
Enter the information, for domain I used MSHOME, others may try WORKGROUP.

Restart networking to make changes take

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart
Check if you get an ip:

ifconfig
If you see an ip associated with your interface you may be set.  If not continue.  You will need some hardware information like interface in use and mac address, gathered from the above output.

I copied the following information from the above command.

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0X:X0:55:XX:XX
not my actual result, but you get the point.

Now we need to edit the network config file:

nano /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf 
Since my device is located at eth1 determined by ifconfig, I will edit that portion of the file.

# Config information for eth1:
IPADDR[1]="00:ff:ff:ff:00:00"
NETMASK[1]="255.255.255.128"
USE_DHCP[1]="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME[1]=""
WLAN_ESSID[1]="mynetwork"
WLAN_MODE[1]="Managed"
WLAN_RATE[1]="11M auto"
WLAN_CHANNEL[1]="8"
#WLAN_KEY[1]="D5AD1F04ACF048EC2D0B1C80C7"

Same file scroll down and enter your appropriate gateway.

# Default gateway IP address:
GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"
If you have security enabled on your router, you can copy and paste the required lines from the pre-configured Wlan0 at the bottom of the config file.  Add/edit the following to your eth0 or eth1 location.  Please note the [n] number must match for your config, [ 0 ] for eth0 or [ 1 ] for eth1.  If you don't have security enabled on your router you won't need to add the "WLAN" lines, and you won't have to edit rc.wireless.conf.

If you have security enabled:

nano /etc/rc.d/rc.wireless.conf
Comment out so your info looks like below:

#*)
#    INFO="Any ESSID"
#    ESSID="any"
#    ;;
Lets restart networking to see if we did it correct:

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart
Please let me know if anyone has an issue with the above.  I have not used the security portion yet, as you can see I have mine commented out.

Here is how I accomplished autologin:

For autologin:

nano /etc/rc.d/rc.local
and add the following lines:

echo "auto login for username"
cd /home/username
su - username
just replace username with the username u want logged in.

To get x to start here is what I did:

Get root privileges, I used root although it may not be required:

su
enter root password

Make a .bash_profile in /home/webdt or whatever user want logged and startx for.

change to your home directory:

cd /home/webdt

cp /etc/profile .bash_profile
Edit your new file:

nano .bash_profile
Add the following to the end of the file:

startx
That was easy, now reboot and lets see if you get a gui.

reboot

Credit to google and the following posts to get me through this.
http://www.slackware.com/config/network.php
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/slackw ... twork.html
http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/dok ... re:network
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/slackw ... logon.html
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier