How to access bios DT366

Have a tip or tweak that worked for you? This is the place to share it. In particular allocatable memory, flash card slot limitations and speeds as well as how to set up a toggle for outdoor viewable video.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

How to access bios DT366

Post by quotaholic »

Plug in a usb keyboard and power up the WebDT. Press and hold or tap the f1 key on the keyboard until you see the bois appear.
Last edited by quotaholic on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
brake16

Re: How to access bios DT366

Post by brake16 »

Good Morning

Any advice on working keyboards?  I've tried a couple different keyboards (one USB, one with a PS/2 - USB converter) to no avail.  I'm at the point where I need to buy a keyboard just to get at the BIOS, and I'd prefer to not have to buy 16 different keyboards for this purpose.  I'd appreciate any tips on what keyboard is known to work.

Thanks
Bryce
Dave7341

Post by Dave7341 »

I have several different USB to PS2 converters and none will work on any of the WEBDTs that I have.  On the other hand, all USB keyboards that I have tried work with no issues.

DT Research sells this keyboard as part of the their accessory line ACC-003-06.
"BTC model 9118" so it would certainly work.  google will show you many vendors.

Here's a link to the accessory list:
http://www.dtresearch.com/product/datas ... 070419.pdf

I have several cases for sale with said keyboard, mouse and four port hub model ACC-010-09.

Contact me via private email if interested.  -Dave
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

I also have never had any issue using native USB keyboards.  One of mine is a little annoying in that the function keys need to be enabled on each boot(Media type keyboard).  I have to be quick to enable FN-lock then hit the F1 key.  So if you are gonna buy one, the simple may be the best.
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
brake16

Post by brake16 »

Good Morning

Thanks for the replies.  You convinced me that maybe my USB keyboard is wonky, so I took the webdt to work and tried a USB keyboard there...got into BIOS no problem.

Thanks
Bryce
masakuna

Post by masakuna »

How do I update the BIOS on a Dell laptop running Windows Vista? My laptop is a Inspiron 1501 running Windows Vista 32-bit Basic Home Edition. I downloaded the update to my desktop from the Dell website, but it won't install. It gives me an error message saying that the BIOS is not flashable. Is there another way to update the BIOS? By the way, my real problem is that my pc doesn't recognize my AC adapter. I did a search and found out that updating the BIOS would fix that problem.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

I would contact Dell for support on that one. Normally one flashes a BIOS with a usb thumbdrive that is loaded with bootable DOS. Dell should supply both the .rom file and a bios updating utility like bpupdate. Check their site to see what their recommended procedure is.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

I would suspect the charger is defective.

I would try another charger if you can find a friend or relative with compatible charger.

Check the voltage output on the center pin to the outer ring it should be approx 5volts if I remember correctly.

I would explore the charger thoroughly before flashing the bios. You can easily brick your MOBO if the flashing does not complete correctly.

Aftermarket chargers are commonly ineffective in Dell's where the smart circuit is very sensitive and needs to be verified by the BIOS. Just another way Dell makes sure they get more money for selling replacement parts. What a great business model!

I have had to jump through hoops several times with this scenario. Sometimes connecting a known good charger is not enough. You may need to remove the battery for a few minutes and then connect the charger then the battery, more hoops, then juggle the charger and hot swap the battery... Hope you get the idea as it has not been well documented nor very scientific.

My money is on a bad charger being you issue.