Widnows 98/ME?

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
Stine

Widnows 98/ME?

Post by Stine »

Any one try windows 98 or windows ME, now that the tochscreen drivers are availible for these operating systems it may be worth while to give it a go! I will try and find some old windows CDs and see if I can get it to install :)
vinograd19

Re: Widnows 98/ME?

Post by vinograd19 »

I've tried. Failed while boot.
ionbladez

Post by ionbladez »

Damn, I was totally thinking of this. A thin install of windows 2000 would probably work, in my guess.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

I cut a 2k install down to 250 megs the  problem was in the boot it would give the 0000007b bsod. I would imagine with the correct drivers  in  your install it may work however installing witht he 2k installer bsod's as well so you would have to put on a test machine and then image it onto the unit.
Stine

Post by Stine »

possible to install a thin 98/me on a virtual machine and then ghost it to the DT366? Im guessing that you could also do this with a 2k install.

Here is my idea, go threw the set up so windows installs basic driver and then when it asks you to reboot the first time boot into DOS and image what it has installed and then put that on the webdt I dont think it will boot from USB so I would have to ghost to the internal flash.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

the problem is 2k and 98 donot have the IDe drivers at all  from install . Hence the installer blue screening with 0007b when installing. you would have to build your install clean it up then add the ide drivers if you can figure them out . then image it onto the drive. 2k's default install is also too big you will have to do a bunch of triming and cutting. if you install to a virtual disk say in like vmware or on your pc then that install will be setup with the ide for your system.
KDH

Post by KDH »

I installed windows 98 a couple months ago and it went well.  I had a powered usb hub, a usb cd drive, and a usb keyboard and mouse.  I used acronis disk director to partition the flash storage as a single Fat32 partition, then I booted from the windows 98 cd and proceeded to install.  The only problem I found was that win98 wouldn't recognize the 4 gig CF card I had in the cf slot.  I haven't bothered to try to find any ide drivers to get the CF working. I also haven't installed the penmount drivers either. I haven't had time to play with it since I finished the install. Hope this helps