Windows Mobile on WebDT366 ?

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
admerge

Windows Mobile on WebDT366 ?

Post by admerge »

Hi,

is it possible to change the WinCe 5.0 to WindowsMobile 5 or 6 ?

Or how can I run Software from Windows PPC 2003 on my 366 ?

bye from Germany

Stefan
serialjoepsycho

Re: Windows Mobile on WebDT366 ?

Post by serialjoepsycho »

admerge wrote: Hi,

is it possible to change the WinCe 5.0 to WindowsMobile 5 or 6 ?

Or how can I run Software from Windows PPC 2003 on my 366 ?

bye from Germany

Stefan
I'm pretty sure it could. PPC kitchen could be a good starting place http://www.ppckitchen.org/forums/local_links.php to get the rom image and it might also be possible if you can load the drivers to the kitchen to use that as an installer but you's have to ask someone else to be sure.
rectic

Post by rectic »

If you can get all the drivers, it may be plausible. The unit was never built to run Windows Mobile though. DT has never done anything with WM, probably due to Microsoft's ridiculous requirements for a WM license (buying a large quantity).
serialjoepsycho

Post by serialjoepsycho »

pretty much I think it will work since essentially windows mobile is the little brother of ce but since a cell phone is much smaller than a a webdt there would be quite a few things that will be a pain. I don't think its much of a question of would it work but more does anyone want mess with it? I think programming of it would be the downfall but I do think it might have it's advantages. It is a modern windows operating system that is receiving alot of attention and receiving regular updates and the roms are easily obtainable. It is a light weight system.  It might be worth a try.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

DT made one device that I am aware of with an ARM/xscale cpu. It also ran windows mobile. It came with limited storage. Somewhere around 64mb. I can not for the life of me remember the model. There was one on ebay for less than 75 bucks up to recently.

Windows mobile is a product designed to run on an arm cpu. As the DT366 has a x86 amd cpu we may be hard pressed to find anything in the ppc realm that will work unless it was cross compiled for x86 architecture as well. A good example is the one version of TPCMP that is working on CE5. Is anything in ppc kitchen designed to run on a x86 cpu?

quotaholic
rectic

Post by rectic »

quotaholic wrote: DT made one device that I am aware of with an ARM/xscale cpu. It also ran windows mobile. It came with limited storage. Somewhere around 64mb. I can not for the life of me remember the model. There was one on ebay for less than 75 bucks up to recently.

Windows mobile is a product designed to run on an arm cpu. As the DT366 has a x86 amd cpu we may be hard pressed to find anything in the ppc realm that will work unless it was cross compiled for x86 architecture as well. A good example is the one version of TPCMP that is working on CE5. Is anything in ppc kitchen designed to run on a x86 cpu?

quotaholic
Looking at the 375 userguide, it ran CE.net 4.x, not WM sadly. The biggest issue with this device is not being able to boot USB (at least not that I could figure out). It may be possible to run WM on it.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

I dont like putting ebay links here because they need maintenance. But to show that this product exists and to show people that google still works here is a dt running an x-scale cpu. Possibly the author of this ad could better answer exactly what operating system is on this. They may also be able to tell you the source of the applications listed and if they will work on CE for x86 based DT's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WebDT-375---Xybernaut-Atigo-Mobile-Computer_W0QQitemZ260413124368QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090519?IMSfp=TL090519196005r24756
rectic

Post by rectic »

quotaholic wrote: I dont like putting ebay links here because they need maintenance. But to show that this product exists and to show people that google still works here is a dt running an x-scale cpu. Possibly the author of this ad could better answer exactly what operating system is on this. They may also be able to tell you the source of the applications listed and if they will work on CE for x86 based DT's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WebDT-375---Xybernaut-Atigo-Mobile-Computer_W0QQitemZ260413124368QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090519?IMSfp=TL090519196005r24756
I had emailed the seller to ask before and found out it was CE.NET 4.x (either 4.1 or 4.2, they weren't sure), and that all the apps were built into the CE image. Someone else can ask and see what they find out.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

This was not the DT unit I had seen and referred to in a previous post as running winmobile however I can vouch for that seller. They know what they are talking about. Basically the apps you are looking for need to be cross compiled in the windows studio environment for the target. Most DT's were made around the 2001 - 2003 time frame and for mostly industrial applications. As these didnt have enough specification to act as much more than a thin client I am doubtful that there will be much available in the form of office apps for it. Hopefully I am wrong.