MS READER ON DT366

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
SCAMDS7

MS READER ON DT366

Post by SCAMDS7 »

I have been using a DT375 for more than 3 years when it finally bit the dust. I bought a dt 366 also with WIN CE and just transferred the CF card with MS READER that I had used on the DT375! When trying to access the ms reader I get a Message that the ms reader is not a WIN CE file? Since my main purpose for this unit is as a ebook
reader using MS READER I would appreciate some help!

Thanks

scamds7
Elwgreen

Re: MS READER ON DT366

Post by Elwgreen »

You might try going to www.mobipocket.com and downloading the reader there.
SCAMDS7

Post by SCAMDS7 »

Unfortunately that does not work either!
HyperNewb
Developer
Developer

Post by HyperNewb »

Hey, I've got good news and bad news for you Scamds7. I'm assuming you like most of us here got stuck with windows ce 5.poop. Unfortunatly the type of cpu in the 366 required a version of CE 5 that nobody bothered to make any compatible software for. Early on a  few of us dug through the web to find working programs and the sum total of that search seems to be about 6 items; only one of which works perfectly.

Now the good news is that the Big Brains here are throwing things at the wall with various flavors of linux and I'm pretty sure we'll see something really slick from them in the near future. In the mean time you could build yourself a trial image of XPe using the free tools MS supplies plus this very nicely done tutorial (forum/viewtopic.php?t=1.) You'll be able to install MS reader or Mobipocket without any problem. This is a pretty solid piece of hardware graced with one trick pony piece of software. Hope this helps.
SCAMDS7

Post by SCAMDS7 »

Thanks for uour prompt response!Unfortunately it is a bit more complex than I can handle.
Is there some other approach that I could use!
HyperNewb
Developer
Developer

Post by HyperNewb »

The only other way is to buy a flash chip with xpe on it already or have it sent out and flashed for you. I believe TKMedia does that, how much I don't know.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

If I were better at handling complex tasks myself I would be further ahead than I am now. I feel badly as many DT366's were mis advertised from the seller and people are stuck with something that may not be working for them. Trying as I am progress is always slower than what I would like to see.

When I first saw these in a home automation environment early on in the decade I dreamed of putting linux on them. Today I am "mostly" successful in making functioning linux images that work for a variety of functions. In coming weeks I will be working on "fit and finish" aspects.

Currently I am putting effort to a "current" linux build with optimization. Once optimized I hope to make an installer or a way to "easily" install linux on a DT. Most of the methods here are for intermediate to advanced computer users and involve tools one just may not see or use too often or at all. I can understand if folks who have never used dd wish to steer clear. We are working on ways to make installation easier.

That being said if anyone wants to order a chip preloaded with linux I would be happy to take your requests and go over the space requirements in order to qualify what functionality you need and what size chip you would need.

If interested please pm me.

quotaholic
Last edited by quotaholic on Sun May 24, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCAMDS7

Post by SCAMDS7 »

I would be interested if I could use MS READER!

Thanks
rectic

Post by rectic »

Are you able to purchase chips larger than the typical 512MB somewhere?
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

As MS READER is a windows based application I can not do much to answer questions on it. If anyone has a XPE build working on their DT would you be willing to test this out? It will take less than 16mb to test it. Looking at the packages available XPE looks to be the likely host.

As for hard drive size for the DT's, yes, we have access to flash cards larger than 512mb. I came upon a 1gb chip that I look forward to installing soon. Leaving this open for correction but I think we can get up to 4 gig cards that are either blank or preloaded with an operating system. I will post more details in the very near future, when I have them.

quotaholic
rectic

Post by rectic »

I've found that DT resellers may be willing to sell to non-clients. Not sure if that is how you got your larger chips. I found that the 4GB seem to be pricey, close to $100 or so.