Installing xpe on a webdt 366?

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
potts.mike

Installing xpe on a webdt 366?

Post by potts.mike »

I am looking at purchasing a couple webdts to use for home automation. The problemis that the units are running CE 5.0 and I need to be running at least xpe for my software. I have read the threads about building an xpe image but how do I get that Image installed onto the webdt?
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Re: Installing xpe on a webdt 366?

Post by david_halliday »

Download the XPe image and use ghost to install it to the internal flash, you will need to get a XPe key as the image needs activating and will die after a few days if you dont enter it.

(Kind of like doing a backup restore see forum/viewtopic.php?t=4 )

Dave.

P.S. You aren't by any chance the Mike Potts that used to work with me at Silvaco?
Last edited by david_halliday on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potts.mike

Post by potts.mike »

Nope, never worked al silvaco. Never mind did some more research on xpe licensing.

-Mike
Last edited by potts.mike on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

ok well  my image is no longer available for download so not that easy :). once you have built your iage  getting it on the dd is the fun part. Keep in mind im exausted so this write up will be interesting .

Boot your web dt using disk one from your imbedded studio.

once your at the x: prompt  run disk part and clean all your partitions and create a new primary partition thats at least big enough for your xpe image. I would suggest if youw ant to use ewf that you also make a single second partition at least 5 megs or leave at least that much unpartitioned space.

onf you  have created the partitions or partitions  you need to  list your partition and then select the one you want as primary by typing select 1 or select 2 whichever  is you r primary.

once selected you type active  then hit enter it will say blah blah marked active.
then type assign  enter will assign drive letter c: to your partition

once this is dont  you need to format your partitions using the following command
format c: /fs:ntfs  this will of course make your new c: partition ntfs which is what my slx is setup for .

now your hard drive is bootable.

the next step can be done several ways ill tell you the two I use.

method one .
put your xpe  build on a cf card and put it in your web dt while still in the xpe preinstallation enviroment(what you booted to to partition . )
It should be made d: unles you made two partitions if not then e:
to cd d:
cd folder-you-put-your-xpe-build-in

make sure you are ini the root of your xpe build folder then type
xcopy *.* c: /e /h
then go make some hot tea it will take a while
once it is done copying you can reboot  your maching from your flash and boom get comfy for the 30 minutes it takes the first boot agent to run .

Method two.
share your xpe build folder on your local network
on your web dt type net use s: \\yourpcname\pathtoyourbuild    then hit enter
it will prompt you for user name and password  to access your share .

once dont it will take you back to x:
type cd s:
at the s: type xcopy *.* c: /e /h

Thats about it hop on irc if you want to talk to me more about this.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

oh yeah as far as the key goes .
Well to make your own image legitimately you need a registered and paid for copy of windows embedded studio .
then you will need to purchase a run time license from Microsoft. There are other unsavory  captain jack sparrow ways of making it work but I will not discuss them here . It tends to make the fancy pants all nervous.
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Post by david_halliday »

Another option (if a little radical) is to use LinuxMCE it can control several home automation systems you will need a desktop machine dedicated to LinuxMCE and then download a special linux controller build (Orbiter they call it) for the webpad DT366. I am fairly sure they can control Z-Wave and Insteon but I don't think Radio-RA is supported at the moment.

Check out www.linuxmce.org

The system is really aimed at a complete solution including video etc but you could use just the home automation section. They have a little demo video on YouTube also

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9829&hl=en

Dave.
Last edited by david_halliday on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
potts.mike

Post by potts.mike »

If I'm reading this right I'm going to need a USB cd drive to boot from. My unit won't ship until Tuesday so I won't be able to attempt an install until next weekend. I thnk that I'm all set as far as software goes.
Thanks for the help guys I'll chime in if I run into trouble.
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Post by david_halliday »

I used a an external USB converter and an IDE cdrom from an old machine.

This is the one I used:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=CA-ISA ... acd2b1cfac

But the following seem to be similar and a little cheaper:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=2020&cpc=RECOM
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... 12&cat=CBL

Dave.