Batteries !!!!! SOLVED !!!!! hardware issue.

Specifications and discussions on hardware for the DT360
plane_crazy

Re: Batteries

Post by plane_crazy »

Hi akhileshss,

I purchased a brand new external battery from them some time ago. They don't have any more right now. They are in California. They were OK to deal with. Their shipping prices to Canada are outrageous. I have spoken with both Steve and Mario on the phone and get the impression that they are really not too technologically savvy. If you check out the ads for their DT366's on eBay you'll see they are not too professional. They had no clue that there were CF cards in the CF slot till I told them.

I used one of their "Best Offer" auctions and said I would give them their full asking price of $99 if they throw in an extra battery and a charging cradle. (I figured with the exorbitant shipping it made up for it) They accepted the offer immediately, so I sent them an email for clarification of the "conditions" that I had put on the offer. They told me there was no way they could do that deal, and that they had applied to have the transaction cancelled. They thought the attached conditions that I had put in were just a "note". I tried hard to explain to them that they had already accepted the offer and were bound to it. They just didn't understand. They have no idea how eBay works. In the end I just cancelled the transaction and let them have their way. It was easier than trying to argue with them.

I am sure that if you win the auction as is, you will have no problem with them.

Bruce
plane_crazy
cgrape2

Post by cgrape2 »

Has anybody found a source for the cells that make up the battery pack.We could then rebuild the packs ourselves.
cgrape2
cgrape2

Post by cgrape2 »

I've located a couple of almost correct sized battery cells for a 360,I'll post a report when they arrive.
Secondly,I don't live very far from the above mentioned eBay seller.I'm going to arrange for a "Sitdown" and see what I can do about their prices.I'll report back with what I can find out.Maybe there is some hope!
cgrape2
hiaber

Re: Batteries !!!!! SOLVED !!!!! hardware issue.

Post by hiaber »

Here's something I have figured out that may interest all of you.  I have an Atigo S, which is by my understanding the equivalent to a DT360(it actually says DT360 as the model number on the back). 

I'm not dealing with an external pack as of yet, but this might help if you want to re-build the internal pack.  I took mine apart and found 4 cells marked "Panasonic CGA523450C" After much research, and a little dismantling of an old cell phone battery of mine, i've discovered that the Motorola BT60 cell phone battery is the EXACT same size as the cells in the atigo's battery pack. they are rated at around 1000-1150mah and 3.7 volts As such - i was able to order 4 of these Motorola batteries off ebay for around $4-5 bucks each.  Will keep you all posted on how the rebuild of the pack goes!
Last edited by quotaholic on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mistico4

Post by mistico4 »

hiaber :

I'd really like the outcome of that, could you please tell me if it was successful?

If they are not smart batteries, what is the third cable/contact for? The internal battery has a 3 cable connector, red and black (DC power, obviously) and a yellow one. The external battery has 5 wire loops that make contact with 3 metal pads on the bottom. Could the third cable/contact be used to monitor temperature?
Last edited by mistico4 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hardwarej

Post by hardwarej »

yes the yellow wire is connected to a 100k thermistor in the battery which is a variable resistor that changes its resistance with temperature, this is used by the webdt to monitor the temperature of the battery
jputzger

Post by jputzger »

I have also rebuilt my DT360 internal Battery. I used for battery packs EN-EL5 for Nikon Coolpix cameras. I removed the cells from the packs and replaced the cells in the DT360 battery pack by them. In contrast to other's statements here I found that the battery pack is "intelligent". Only one of the three yellow wires is connected to  a Thermistor, another wire is connected to a solder pad marked "D" which provides I2C communication between DT360 and the microcontroller on the  PCB  in the battery pack. When this connection is removed the DT 360 will work but the battery will be indicated as absent and no charge level can be read.

jputzger